Many, many clubs -- is this going to be ok?

Birched

Hi all,

I am converting our site to IPB and am wondering whether there's anything I should be on the lookout for when it comes to moving content into the clubs structure. We are a storytelling/play-by-post site, and right now we have thousands of subforums where the person running each game is a moderator in that space. I would like to move all these to clubs, with a 1:1 mapping of a games:clubs.

One thing I am wondering is whether I will still be able archive clubs and club content using the IPB infrastructure for marking old/archived content (as I understand it, this content is flagged in the DB and omitted from most searches to speed things up?)

If you have tried running many clubs and had to overcome issues, I'd love to hear about it!

If you have any general pointers or concerns that you think I should be thinking about, please let me know!

I know that with our previous software we ran into issues in various places where the designers had clearly not expected so many forums, creating administrative nuisances (e.g. html select menus with thousands of entries that are difficult to navigate). My primary concern is the user experience, but the moderator/admin experience is also important.

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Birched said:

I am converting our site to IPB

05d8f0ad29a5640ab1b2969a5044f713.gif

3 hours ago, Birched said:

One thing I am wondering is whether I will still be able archive clubs and club content using the IPB infrastructure for marking old/archived content (as I understand it, this content is flagged in the DB and omitted from most searches to speed things up?)

Let's see if I can help ya. What do you mean when you mention archiving club content? What are you trying to accomplish with this? Not trying to sound shady haha genuinely asking so I can have a better understanding 🙂 🙏 

4 hours ago, Birched said:

Yes, archiving content (via the archiving function in the ACP) removes them from the built-in site search. If the content is reachable by web spiders (i.e. viewable to guests), you'll still have that content indexed in public search engines, like Google.

4 hours ago, Birched said:

I know that with our previous software we ran into issues in various places where the designers had clearly not expected so many forums, creating administrative nuisances (e.g. html select menus with thousands of entries that are difficult to navigate). My primary concern is the user experience, but the moderator/admin experience is also important.

We don't use clubs this way, but we did convert with blogs that were so numerous that IPS was unprepared to deal with it from the ACP. I'd certainly recommend testing your conversion and seeing what happens when the content is moved over from your existing community.

2 minutes ago, Paul E. said:

Yes, archiving content (via the archiving function in the ACP) removes them from the built-in site search. If the content is reachable by web spiders (i.e. viewable to guests), you'll still have that content indexed in public search engines, like Google.

We don't use clubs this way, but we did convert with blogs that were so numerous that IPS was unprepared to deal with it from the ACP. I'd certainly recommend testing your conversion and seeing what happens when the content is moved over from your existing community.

Ahhh interesting. So the goal here would be to archive, but still have it index? 

16 hours ago, Jordan Invision said:

Ahhh interesting. So the goal here would be to archive, but still have it index? 

Yes. Indexed and still available, but it's fine if it takes longer for archived material, or for a search that includes the archives.

Basically, we are sitting on almost 20 years of material that people still go back to at times. One of the attractive things about IPB for me is that there is built-in logic to serve our most recent content faster, while still maintaining access to our older ("archived") content.