Adding a version warning

AndyF

Maybe to the init.php file, I'm not sure.

Although it did not catch me out, one site I was looking at had by some chance switched back to php7.0 , this turned out to be due to replacing the 'use version x' in a .htaccess file being lost.

Anyway, currently if you attempt to run (run not install) the suite on say php7.0.x or lower, you tend to end up with a blank page or if you are lucky an error such as...

Parse Error : Unexpected '?', expecting variable (T_VARIABLE) init.php on line 1413

... or something quite similar to that.

This may be very confusing to some, assuming they see it and/or check their logs.

My suggestion here: A simple addition perhaps in index.php or init.php with something along the lines of using phpversion() may help quite a bit here as if its treated like the requirements checker then the cause is shown, something the end user may be able to fix themselves, otherwise they'd end up with a ticket and the support tech would possibly direct them back to their host to fix, causing the client two tickets one at 'each' whereas with the error shown they may know to contact their host about it.

Thanks for consideration. 🙂

Edited by AndyF
Typo fixed

Oh I'll admit I don't think I'd checked the ACP out, the front end was completely blank and in the logs themselves I'd found said error and it sprung to mind what the likely cause was, so I stopped looking elsewhere.

Tested on localhost dev with display_errors enabled (purposely at php7.0.3) and it displayed said error but that was expected.