Video Directory

Faqole

Hi  i think i need some help with this app.  

after install and setup and added a music video   no video shows up (see picture)

1.thumb.png.6ef411cb0c10dfdc4a4b11b858b8bd90.png

there is no problems with posting youtube links in a normal post in my forum  

*edit*

i think i found out why.  i have to change url 

from  hxxps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Ou4zAUYw8

til       hxxps://www.youtube.com/embed/I4Ou4zAUYw8

coppy and past was not working

1 hour ago, ssaeth_merged said:

Hi  i think i need some help with this app.  

after install and setup and added a music video   no video shows up (see picture)

1.thumb.png.6ef411cb0c10dfdc4a4b11b858b8bd90.png

there is no problems with posting youtube links in a normal post in my forum  

*edit*

i think i found out why.  i have to change url 

from  hxxps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Ou4zAUYw8

til       hxxps://www.youtube.com/embed/I4Ou4zAUYw8

coppy and past was not working

Can you please post the link to the video directory at your forum?

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Excalibur said:

Can members comment on posted videos with this plugin?

If not, i would like to request that as a feature, along with the option to add a video description to posted videos.

Thanks

I would like user-comments, video descriptions and star-ratings as well! 

And of these, I assume that adding a description feature would be really easy to implement?

4 hours ago, Excalibur said:

Can members comment on posted videos with this plugin?

If not, i would like to request that as a feature, along with the option to add a video description to posted videos.

Thanks

Hello,

No, members can not comment on posted videos in the current version. Anyways, I will add it on the to do list. 

28 minutes ago, Brainy S. said:

I would like user-comments, video descriptions and star-ratings as well! 

And of these, I assume that adding a description feature would be really easy to implement?

Yes, the description feature would be rather easy to implement. Can you please post a screenshot as to where you want it to be shown?

53 minutes ago, Faqole said:

Yes, the description feature would be rather easy to implement. Can you please post a screenshot as to where you want it to be shown?

video_desc.thumb.png.407f514d366a8b0638ad879c9f13e726.png

I think something right below would work well for most people, and have it be something entirely optional.

And I could not resist and had to add rating stars as well. 🙂 My understanding though is that would take some work to add as there is a whole system for programming in rating-ability I think? But maybe for a future release I hope you will consider that!!!

For now, the descriptions alone would be very helpful!!!

2 hours ago, Brainy S. said:

video_desc.thumb.png.407f514d366a8b0638ad879c9f13e726.png

I think something right below would work well for most people, and have it be something entirely optional.

And I could not resist and had to add rating stars as well. 🙂 My understanding though is that would take some work to add as there is a whole system for programming in rating-ability I think? But maybe for a future release I hope you will consider that!!!

For now, the descriptions alone would be very helpful!!!

Yes, the rating system and the user comment system would take some work to implement. And right now I am a bit tight on free time. But I will see what I can do to add the description field though.

3 hours ago, Faqole said:

Yes, the rating system and the user comment system would take some work to implement. And right now I am a bit tight on free time. But I will see what I can do to add the description field though.

Thanks so much! Obviously everyone has a laundry list of ideas, but the description will help a lot. There is one more thing I wanted to point out specifically. It only took me 5 minutes to run into this, and 2 minutes for the other admin to run into this:

728498500_ScreenShot2018-10-22at11_40_44AM.png.c757fff4d30012a3201f14c7e1fcc37d.png

If you click on the Nav link you get a "page not found" error, which looks really bad from the user experience perspective.

So the main menu goes to:

mysite.com/index.php?app=videodirectory&amp;module=videos&amp;controller=videos              <-- (works as expected via menu tab)

mysite/index.php?app=videodirectory&amp;module=videos&amp;controller=                                    <---- (page not found using the nav menu)

12 minutes ago, ARCJester said:

To whoever "replied" to my review, note that it reviews can be edited. Although, it wouldn't hurt if the developer had actual instructions. And the permissions are indeed set, but the problem still remains.

image.thumb.png.58e57a94c3dca6bbf76b8e62877911e5.png

The screenshots I have uploaded say all really. Anyways, this is not the permission for the app. You have to go to the groups tab. Please see the 4 th screenshot.

And if you run into any difficulty with the app, posting at the support topic and giving the author a chance to reply would be the way to go and not run to the reviews and leave a bad one for something that it is not the author 's fault. Just saying.

2 hours ago, Brainy S. said:

Thanks so much! Obviously everyone has a laundry list of ideas, but the description will help a lot. There is one more thing I wanted to point out specifically. It only took me 5 minutes to run into this, and 2 minutes for the other admin to run into this:

728498500_ScreenShot2018-10-22at11_40_44AM.png.c757fff4d30012a3201f14c7e1fcc37d.png

If you click on the Nav link you get a "page not found" error, which looks really bad from the user experience perspective.

So the main menu goes to:

mysite.com/index.php?app=videodirectory&amp;module=videos&amp;controller=videos              <-- (works as expected via menu tab)

mysite/index.php?app=videodirectory&amp;module=videos&amp;controller=                                    <---- (page not found using the nav menu)

Good catch sir. I had missed it, thank you for bringing it to my attention. I will look into fixing it for the next version.

16 minutes ago, ARCJester said:

To whoever "replied" to my review, note that it reviews can be edited. Although, it wouldn't hurt if the developer had actual instructions. And the permissions are indeed set, but the problem still remains.

This should help:

Note: These settings are what you should have for an Admin/Moderator, by the way.

video-permissions.png

8 minutes ago, Faqole said:

The screenshots I have uploaded say all really. Anyways, this is not the permission for the app. You have to go to the groups tab. Please see the 4 th screenshot.

And if you run into any difficulty with the app, posting at the support topic and giving the author a chance to reply would be the way to go and not run to the reviews and leave a bad one for something that it is not the author 's fault. Just saying.

Ah, cheers. I do recommend an easier option for a mass permission change, it's a bit pesky to go one by one. And explaining things through a rather large image reel will never beat a simple instruction list from text  (even a README). 

Outside of that, no complaints from me, GLWS.

7 minutes ago, Faqole said:

Good catch sir. I had missed it, thank you for bringing it to my attention. I will look into fixing it for the next version.

One more thing...this should hopefully be it!!! 🙂

It looks like the "Categories" sidebar does not display properly on a mobile view/mobile-width sized device.

On a normal desktop browser view, of course it is fine, but when you shrink the window width to go into mobile-nav mode, things are still good at "tablet"-ish width...but shrink it down further to the minimum "phone"-ish width the specific categories disappear.

This was tested on the default IPS theme as well. And as you can see, my categories are not particularly long or anything either. I verified this on an actual mobile device as well, just to be sure.

This is definitely an important bug I hope gets corrected soon.

Also, I would suggest that the categories list be put above the video content in mobile-menu view, if at all possible. With a lot of videos on a mobile, before you can select the category you would have to go down through a huge amount of videos first to choose the category. I think even if you have to do this for both desktop+mobile view instead of leaving the sidebar categories in desktop view, it would be worth it. It's great if you can have the desktop/sidebar categories and a separate "above the videos" area for mobile, but if not...it's better they both be up there if you cannot easily make it desktop/mobile view specific.

categories-on-mobile.png

3 minutes ago, Brainy S. said:

It looks like the "Categories" sidebar does not display properly on a mobile view/mobile-width sized device.

On a normal desktop browser view, of course it is fine, but when you shrink the window width to go into mobile-nav mode, things are still good at "tablet"-ish width...but shrink it down further to the minimum "phone"-ish width the specific categories disappear.

This was tested on the default IPS theme as well. And as you can see, my categories are not particularly long or anything either. I verified this on an actual mobile device as well, just to be sure.

Also, I would suggest that the categories list be put above the video content in mobile-menu view, if at all possible. With a lot of videos on a mobile, before you can select the category you would have to go down through a huge amount of videos first to choose the category. I think even if you have to do this for both desktop+mobile view instead of leaving the sidebar categories in desktop view, it would be worth it. It's great if you can have the desktop/sidebar categories and a separate "above the videos" area for mobile, but if not...it's better they both be up there if you cannot easily make it desktop/mobile view specific.

categories-on-mobile.png

I have it sorted already, thanks.

1 hour ago, Brainy S. said:

categories-on-mobile.png

I will look into this as well. Thank you for reporting it. It will be included in the next version, which will include some new major features as well.

In meanwhile, I have released a new version that fixed the issue with the breadcrumb that you reported and also added the description field, which can be anbled/desabled from the Settings page of the app,

Great! The nav menu link is working and the new description feature is great. Thanks so much!

Note: I did have to fully remove and reinstall the app, otherwise it would give me an error...which is not entirely unexpected in this situation.
INSERT INTO `videodirectory_videos` ( `title`, `video_url`, `video_description`, `author`, `entry_date`, `c_id` )...

So if anyone else had already installed the 1.0 version, keep in mind you'll need to uninstall it from what I can tell.

11 hours ago, Brainy S. said:

Great! The nav menu link is working and the new description feature is great. Thanks so much!

Note: I did have to fully remove and reinstall the app, otherwise it would give me an error...which is not entirely unexpected in this situation.
INSERT INTO `videodirectory_videos` ( `title`, `video_url`, `video_description`, `author`, `entry_date`, `c_id` )...

So if anyone else had already installed the 1.0 version, keep in mind you'll need to uninstall it from what I can tell.

You are welcome sir.

Regarding the error, it looks like the description field was not added by the upgrader. That can be fixed with running a simple sql query should anyone else run into this problem. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I notice that when posting a link to a category the link does not auto embed. It would be nice if it did. Also it would be nice to be able to click a video and see it on a sole page to be able to rate and review etc.

Just some friendly suggestions to make the product much better 🙂

https://www.christforums.com/videodirectory/

Example: If I post the link it only appears as a link rather than embedding.

Archived