Non American Standard Dates Language Defines

TDBF

I'm sorry America, but not all the world follows the American Date format, I hate that this continually gets forced on us countries who do not use this Date format.

I don't mind if the software gives an "easy" option to change date format to Day, Month and Year (for example). I understand that this is a 'Locale' setting and should be in the Language Defines, but seriously couldn't you have made it it any harder than you have to change this format?

Why didn't you use the standard PHP convention for Times and Dates?

I mean, this means nothing to me:

{!1#[1:January][2:February][3:March][4:April][5:May][6:June][7:July][8:August][9:September][10:October][11:November][12:December]} {0#}

This I understand, and so would a lot of other people, even those who do not understand PHP, at least can understand this:

M-d-Y

I also am forced to use '* hours ago, today, yesterday' and there is no way to turn this off within the ACP.

Another example of not being able to control the dates is within CMS. I want my articles to display dates as 'd F Y H:i'. The ability to change Date and Time formats per database would be handy as well. Sorry for the rant on this matter.

Thanks ?

It is nonstandard specifically for wider language support ? PHP's date format assumes that there is a "short" and a "long" option for month names, which is not always true.

We have some information on the formatting used in language strings, but if you let us know how you'd like it to show we might be able to help ?

59 minutes ago, Mark said:

It is nonstandard specifically for wider language support ? PHP's date format assumes that there is a "short" and a "long" option for month names, which is not always true.

We have some information on the formatting used in language strings, but if you let us know how you'd like it to show we might be able to help ?

Hi Mark,

I should have said, I understand your formatting, I just don't understand why you had to do it this way. ?

Firstly, I would like to see the date language defines moved into their own area within the Language Options, that way you don't have to go hunting through all the language defines to change the Date formats. 

As I mentioned before, I do not like the Date 'shorting' which is put in place especially for Applications other than the forum.

Even on the forum index for example, the Date gets shortened from '23 May 2018' to '23 May'. I personally do not like this, but other than going into templates and code, there are no 'real' options for controlling the Time and Dates within the Suite as a whole.

I personally would like more control over the date formats throughout the suite, even from application to application. You can set the date format in Calendar, why can't we do that for other area's of the suite?

Cheers Mark.

Archived