Reported Content

-AJ-

At least once a week someone mistakenly reports content on our site.  Sometimes it's multiple times a week.  Could you add an option to make the report REQUIRE a reason, or some form of validation?  Right now there isn't any requirement that a reason be given and people often fumble through the process.

35 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

At least once a week someone mistakenly reports content on our site.  Sometimes it's multiple times a week.  Could you add an option to make the report REQUIRE a reason, or some form of validation?  Right now there isn't any requirement that a reason be given and people often fumble through the process.

I kind of agree but at the same time if people are reporting content and it's not breaking any rules, it shouldn't matter.

Even if you force people to require them to add something, what stops them from just typing
ewhqorweqhoewop > send

I think putting a rule in place that continuously reporting posts that don't break rules will leave you with a warning and or just make everyone aware that whatever it is they think is rule breaking, really isn't.

38 minutes ago, Matthew Theobald said:

I kind of agree but at the same time if people are reporting content and it's not breaking any rules, it shouldn't matter.

Even if you force people to require them to add something, what stops them from just typing
ewhqorweqhoewop > send

I think putting a rule in place that continuously reporting posts that don't break rules will leave you with a warning and or just make everyone aware that whatever it is they think is rule breaking, really isn't.

Part of the problem is it's wasted staff time.  Someone spends time looking at the report and whatever is being reported trying to see if there is something wrong with it.  If we don't see anything obvious we contact them and try to educate the user.  I don't think it's too much to ask that if someone hits report content they spend the time to tell us why.  Hopefully that requirement will keep some users from submitting reports by accident.

I don't think people look at sites rules that much and the longer you make the list of rules the more they'll ignore it.  Our site tries not to throw warnings at people just because they make a mistake.

• 2 months later...

Given the volume of reports we handle, we would also benefit greatly from this feature. Sometimes it's very difficult to discern the intent of the report. I would very much rather deal with "lkjherhkjewhkjhkjsfdg" as the reason, than no reason at all. The former could be handled as potential time wasting.

We attempted to edit our theme to enforce this as a required field, but have not been successful thus far.

Archived