Completely Random Session Bug

Vinlockz

Hello,

We have a forum that SSOs with our platform. The issue that is occurring is if you refresh or navigate through the forums, you will randomly be shown as logged out. Pretty much the Login/Signup in the top right corner will appear instead of your username and other options. Although, once you continue to navigate or refresh (may take a few attempts) bam you are back logged in as normal.

For starters, the environment we are on is the following:
AWS
AWS Load Balancer (with stickiness enabled)
2 Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Servers
NGINX + PHP 5.4
1 AWS Elasticache Memcache
1 AWS RDS Amazon Aurora MySQL DB
On the latest IPB software 4.1.19.1

We have tested this against a single box consistently and the issue still occurs, so it is not due to load balancing at all. We added stickiness after to further eliminate the problem.

Cookies do not change throughout being shown as logged out or logged in.

Session information in the DB does not change throughout being logged out or logged in.

After much investigation we see that the read() function inside of IPS\Session\Front and its SSO class extension is not being ran at all. Imitates behavior of not having the IPB session cookie, while it does.

Please let me know if anyone has any insight upon this, or a good idea of a troubleshooting method.

Thank you!

No insight other to say I'm having the same issue, I did contact support who couldn't replicate it.

Thought I found a way of replicating it by using 2 different browsers/devices but was told this is a known bug that has been fixed in 4.2 and won't be fixed in 4.1.

With no real desire to upgrade to 4.2 I'm hoping this thread can trigger some fix as it's driving members insane.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2017 at 10:13 PM, daveoh said:

No insight other to say I'm having the same issue, I did contact support who couldn't replicate it.

Thought I found a way of replicating it by using 2 different browsers/devices but was told this is a known bug that has been fixed in 4.2 and won't be fixed in 4.1.

With no real desire to upgrade to 4.2 I'm hoping this thread can trigger some fix as it's driving members insane.

Thank you!!!

Would be awesome if a staff member could reply here to clarify the issue.

Archived