How can admins share a file with just one user privately?

Andrew Takats

Do you mean to post a file in IP.Downloads?  

There's no easy way to do that.  The permissiosn to download in IP.Downloads are based upon membergroup permissions, so you would need to create a new membergroup for that one user.  

Why don't you just email?  Or PM?  

Thanks @Joel R for the very quick reply. The scenario is that we have a community of teachers. After they submit data (via emailing and some processing on our side) we want to produce a report for them that provides some basic data on the outcome of their class (impact to students, etc.) and make it available for them to access easily. We could include it in a message for sure, but I was wondering if there's some way to have a place to store all of their reports (for classes taught over time). Thanks in advance for any other ideas you may have.--Andy

11 minutes ago, Andrew Takats said:

Thanks @Joel R for the very quick reply. The scenario is that we have a community of teachers. After they submit data (via emailing and some processing on our side) we want to produce a report for them that provides some basic data on the outcome of their class (impact to students, etc.) and make it available for them to access easily. We could include it in a message for sure, but I was wondering if there's some way to have a place to store all of their reports (for classes taught over time). Thanks in advance for any other ideas you may have.--Andy

Mmm, I'm going to throw things out there so proceed with caution:

1.  Forums - You can allow certain forums to have topics that can be ONLY seen by the poster.  This is based upon the forum permission "Users can see topics posted by other users?"  NO.  

You can then create topics like:

• Teacher Annabelle Project 1: only seen by Annabelle
  • Teacher Mark Project 1: only seen by Mark
  • Teacher Annabelle Project 2: only seen by Annabelle
  • Teacher Mark Project 2: only seen by Mark

I think this will be the easiest solution for you.  

2.  Blogs - You might be able to create private blogs where the only invited members are you and the teacher.  

3.  Database - You will need customization of some sort to control the membergroup permissions, but this would have the benefit of producing consistent formatting of the teacher reports.  

Thanks @Joel R so if I create a forum for the results, would I have to create the topic for each user by logging in as that user I assume? That actually sounds like a very reasonable hack and I will experiment right now! The volume of these initially will be very low, so I like it. 

I was going to post another question - maybe you can help there too: I would like to have the ability for each teacher to come to the community and request a unique identifier (to be used as part of the submission process). Right now it's all manual with them asking for it via an email, but I am assuming there would be some relatively simple way to write a snippet of code that could generate a unique (sequential is fine) identifier. Do you know what would be the easiest way to code that into the community? I used to be a coder (C, C++ long ago) so I am hopeful I can figure it out. Thanks a lot!

14 minutes ago, Andrew Takats said:

I was going to post another question - maybe you can help there too: I would like to have the ability for each teacher to come to the community and request a unique identifier (to be used as part of the submission process). Right now it's all manual with them asking for it via an email, but I am assuming there would be some relatively simple way to write a snippet of code that could generate a unique (sequential is fine) identifier. Do you know what would be the easiest way to code that into the community? I used to be a coder (C, C++ long ago) so I am hopeful I can figure it out. Thanks a lot!

You can maybe try to use the license key created in IP.Commerce.

Another method is to use Automation Rules by @Kevin Carwile with the ECA as follows: EVENT when user registers on website; CONDITION none; ACTION generate unique identifier to be saved onto a private field on profile.  

A third method is to create your own HTML Page in IP.Pages where you custom code everything.  

Archived