Amazons3 problems.

BenCurry

Hi,

When I tried to move everything over to S3 before Christmas it failed an broke all the links to images on my forums.  I have been having to upload them in 50/100 blocks. when I get chance.  There are 100,00+ images...

Amazon s3 has recently updated the way that you can upload to the buckets.  this is great as the bulk uploader seems to be working now and I can send in 1/2GB of files at a time without trouble.  

I have a question though.  Do i need to set the permissions for these files to be read only?  I never had this option before but now its giving me the choice.  

Thanks, 
Ben

Ben,

If you've not already done so, check the cost of serving from S3. Ideally you want to put a cloudfront 'CDN' in front of your S3 assets.

You'll need a new IAM user with the right auth to your bucket, then set a policy for access as a logged in user only. Afterwards if you try to access the S3 bucket image, from a unauthenticated session, you should get the error document instead. 

You'll also need to specify the cloudfront url in the files section of IPB admin.

Checkout this post: 

Archived