Trying to figure out the source of TTFB performance issues

I'm currently trying to address an issue I've been grappling with for awhile, namely that my IPS site is experiencing lengthy load times (3-5 seconds for a page usually, and primarily TTFB waiting). I've optimized the frontend to the best of my ability, use CloudFlare as a CDN, and the content itself snaps in almost immediately once it does connect. There are some things I'm still in the process of trying, so this is more a question of whether I should put something else on my to-do list, rather than an expectation of immediate results.

I'm running on a StableHost VPS, 64-bit CentOS 7 with 8GB of RAM.

Stuff I've tried / am trying:

• In the process of converting most of my tables to InnoDB, but I've covered most major ones so far: members, profile fields, posts*, topics, forums, status updates/replies, sessions, core permission index (* About 5 million posts total, ~3.3m are currently archived)
  • innodb_buffer_pool_size at 3GB (full my.cnf)
  • Typically, we've got about 60-70 members and 70-100 guests browsing concurrently
  • The issue doesn't appear to be with my host; I installed a test IPS copy on the same VPS and the TTFB hovers around 500ms. Same version and theme, just without the amount of data we've got on the live site.

I feel like there has to be something I'm missing, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hello :-)

TTFB has nothing to do with your database size/optimization.

It is related to the network that you use.

Using a vps (that means that you are sharing network resources) or by using by your server provider a software to limit network resources per vps can cause some delays like a few ms.....

You can improve it also a bit by optimizing the the network port but that will not help for a Vps.

But it seems that your major issue is not only the TTFB as you mention that you get 500ms so if we say for example the optimal value will be 200ms then from the 3-5 seconds the delay is only 300ms...

Also it depends from which GEO location you measure the TTFB....

In general there is not a simple setting to adjust and get that to a low value.

5 hours ago, ASTRAPI said:

But it seems that your major issue is not only the TTFB as you mention that you get 500ms so if we say for example the optimal value will be 200ms then from the 3-5 seconds the delay is only 300ms...

I meant that I get ~500ms TTFB on a fresh install of IPS, but 3-5 seconds TTFB on my main site (hosted on the same VPS). That makes me think there's something to be optimized in my install, rather than an issue with the hosting.

Archived