CKEditor alternative

DesignzShop

Please give us a ckeditor alternative. Skinning the ck editor has now become to the point we can't even reference common ck editor css rules like

.cke_panel_frame {
  background: #000 !important;
}

Besides this you need to edit 8 minimized ckeditor files in the editor to change a single rule and you need to divide up your custom.css for some rules on top of that.. It can't get any more sloppy and hard to follow imo. A beginners nightmare to dig into the editor on top of time consuming beyond for the experienced developer. and of course there is no documentation on this to complicate matters. No one documents changes or offers help for changes like this either we're just supposed to just "get it" or "forget it"

On top of this the ckeditor function is just to much imo. My end users do not need all this to just write a post. Most of them just try the editor as of late and send me a pm telling me to fix it. LOL... Ck is beyond that I tell them and there's nothing I can do.

please provide a cleaner alternative.

We don't expect you to modify minified files :) CKEditor has great documentation on creating skins: http://docs.ckeditor.com/#!/guide/skin_sdk_intro

If the default editor functionality is to complicated for your members, you can simply remove/disable the features you don't want (AdminCP -> Customisation -> Editor -> Toolbars). I'm a bit of a minimalist myself and would probably just have links and emoticons if it were up to me :p 

http://docs.ckeditor.com/#!/guide/skin_sdk_browser_hacks

I would like to point out the problem is much of the default cke themes(including mono) not understanding the C in CSS. Every one of them uses the browser hacks 'feature' to completely redefine the CSS(including colors, often using !important tags) per browser, instead of just tweaks for the browser in question as needed. Custom CKE themes follow this trend by example. This makes it quite the pain to work with, and rewriting it to be sane is a daunting task as well. This wasn't really too much of an issue in 3 because you had customized CKE to the point it didn't use it's themes. Now that it does, it's glaringly obvious the CSS of CKE stock is a pain to work with.

If Marcher says this then you know it's an issue! When Marcher wont work on something for me and I can't get it, that's an issue. We are at a issue stage. All this could be avoided if someone would be customer orientated enough to say "Hey, we made a change and here's how you can fix it"... I've asked, IPB refuses to help on this or be kind enough to supply a answer to a change you made instead of expecting us to either find it or forget it or pay someone else.Cool/fair enough, I tired to get the best developer here to help as he has in the past very well, when he gives up, that's when I know it's over. Please consider giving a cleaner alternative that we can use what our custom.css is for, putting all of our css into....

Would or could you share the fix for the change Mark? Again, this would be very much appreciated. Thank you

>.< I didn't give up. I refuse to get paid for 1 CKE theme when I am in effect making 7 of them, 1 per browser.... it's not nice to realize that is the case, and it's frankly ridiculous in this day and age of browser standardization.

I want to note, I am not upset with IPS on this one in any way shape or form, this is CKE silliness in whole. Just explaining the issue.

17 minutes ago, Marcher Technologies said:

>.< I didn't give up. I refuse to get paid for 1 CKE theme when I am in effect making 7 of them, 1 per browser.... it's not nice to realize that is the case, and it's frankly ridiculous in this day and age of browser standardization.

Yes, I could of worded that better :p

I just wanted that one code btw - not a whole ck theme again :) but I understand Sir... That's why I made the initial post. Also having to edit a js file to edit a theme color is getting too far out there imo.

Archived