Forum Post Speeds

JLS

I've been investigating some reported slow posting speeds. I'm finding very odd results that appear to be very consistent, yet completely inconsistent pending which way you look at it. In one forum area I'll post a reply (typical "test, test, test"). It will take 2 seconds on the dime to post. In another area it takes 5 seconds on the dime. In our new question/answer area it takes 15 seconds on the dime. If I go back and do them in a backwards order etc I seem to get the same exact results for the same area. Obviously the 2 seconds is good. But the 5-15 seconds with my 50mb connection is painful. I hear those with slower connections are getting much worse results at our forum.

I tested using the default theme.

Any ideas on what could cause such a thing? Especially in different areas?

Thanks!

1 minute ago, Adlago said:

Many of these problems are resolved by optimizing the site. But before that analysis with Web tools discovered issues.
I think here no soothsayers.
Share the link to your site. Someone might find cause of problems.

Our site is a paid private forum not visible to the public so sharing a link isn't helpful unfortunately.

What do you mean by "optimizing"? Isn't the default IP installation and theme supposed to be optimized or are you referencing settings I need to change in CPANEL etc?

*update to issue* This also stands for pressing the "like" button. In the question/answer area you have to hit the button twice sometimes or other times it instantly starts thinking but takes 10 or so seconds to complete.

Though if someone feels they might be knowledgeable on the subject then I can give them private access to help with our issue.

Each site is a kind of telecommunication. Work: Site-> User-> Server-> Internet depends on all resources of that site is loaded. Optimizing Site speed is associated with precise handling of resources and optimal synchronization of User connectivity->Site-> Server.

Software as used by IPS provides each site on a very good level. Everything else is in the hands site owners and administrators - who have to make their personal optimization consistent with the resources they provide to their users.

PP. Can you make yourself test.
At a time suitable for you permit access to the site Guest
Here are two links to powerful web tool

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

https://gtmetrix.com/

Make a speed test and see how it works your site.
These tests will take no more than several minutes, then disable Guests.
You will have accurate information about all the problems of your site.

14 hours ago, Jesse Lambdin said:

when you hit "post" the page just sits there spinning to post it. If you hit refresh the post is already posted. according to my host it isn't a server issue.

You use version 3.4.7
For your problem - I've done a long time analysis for this nasty bug. I am not able to find the exact cause. My only conclusion - bug appears in the member group 3.
This bug prevents all. What I have found as a solution that works successfully done so:

1. Create a new members group permissions of the members group 3.

2. Open ACP - Support - SQL Management  ->  SQL Toolbox  ->  SQL Processes

3. Copy and Paste the next command

update members set member_group_id=X where member_group_id=3

X -> ID number your new member group

if you use a prefix for your tables database forget not set. Example " update pref_members set ..."

4. Perform "Run a New Query"

All users of the member group 3 will be moved to your new member group.

Post problem will be removed.

On November 28, 2015 at 5:01:26 PM, Adlago said:

PP. Can you make yourself test.
At a time suitable for you permit access to the site Guest
Here are two links to powerful web tool

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

https://gtmetrix.com/

Make a speed test and see how it works your site.
These tests will take no more than several minutes, then disable Guests.
You will have accurate information about all the problems of your site.

Here's the thing. My speed was down at like 40-50% according to those. Just adding in the gzip thing to my htaccess increased me up to about 80%. But those speeds had absolutely no effect on the posting speed. My pages load plenty fast (I thought they did before but especially now with the gzip) but there doesn't seem to be a way to measure the speed or trace problems with actually submitting a post or hitting the 'like' button.

7 minutes ago, JLS said:

Here's the thing. My speed was down at like 40-50% according to those. Just adding in the gzip thing to my htaccess increased me up to about 80%. But those speeds had absolutely no effect on the posting speed. My pages load plenty fast (I thought they did before but especially now with the gzip) but there doesn't seem to be a way to measure the speed or trace problems with actually submitting a post or hitting the 'like' button.

Tomorrow will think. With me now is 02:25 after midnight. If you have more information from your observations - share it

2 hours ago, JLS said:

my issue is identical to yours. Everything is super fast until you hit submit, or like.

2 hours ago, Jesse Lambdin said:

my issue is identical to yours. Everything is super fast until you hit submit, or like.

Except your running v3 and I'm running v4. But if we find the answer to either it might help fix both...

On 29.11.2015 г.,, JLS said:

Any ideas on what could cause such a thing? Especially in different areas?

Try this

Open ACP - System - Settings - Posting - General

Find Posting - Merge concurrent posts. Select 'Never' and Save.

Make your tests Post again. I think that now would be faster.

6 hours ago, Adlago said:

Try this

Open ACP - System - Settings - Posting - General

Find Posting - Merge concurrent posts. Select 'Never' and Save.

Make your tests Post again. I think that now would be faster.

Sadly, that's how my settings already are...

Well, hoping IPS support is going to help me with this. My first ticket submission was no help and redirecting me to my host etc. But I responded that I have two fully paid separately licensed forums on the same domain and one works perfectly. IMO, this takes pressure of the server/host being the obvious issue but the IPS initial response has me thinking they will deflect me again. Hope not. This upgrade to IPS 4 has had me in support tickets for over a month now and I'm sure this just corresponds to all the other issues I've had. Frustrating. Good support if they accept your ticket though so fingers crossed...

24 minutes ago, JLS said:

Well, hoping IPS support is going to help me with this. My first ticket submission was no help and redirecting me to my host etc. But I responded that I have two fully paid separately licensed forums on the same domain and one works perfectly. IMO, this takes pressure of the server/host being the obvious issue but the IPS initial response has me thinking they will deflect me again. Hope not. This upgrade to IPS 4 has had me in support tickets for over a month now and I'm sure this just corresponds to all the other issues I've had. Frustrating. Good support if they accept your ticket though so fingers crossed...

You can use Network Protocol Analizer, example Wireshark

When plugged filter Get you do post in troubled forum and then post a working normally forum.

When results do compare, I think you will find the cause of a slow post.

@Adlago @Jesse Lambdin found the problem :)

It's our notification settings. We had notifications set to email a user anytime someone they follow (or friend in older versions) posts or likes a comment. When I changed this setting it fixed the speed/delay issue. 

Don't get me wrong, it's odd IMO as I only have 10-15 following me so it's not like that's alot of emails. My regular email on that same server would send that many emails out in a flat second. But apparently in IP it bogs things down quite a bit and since I didn't mean to have that enabled anyways it doesn't matter. Man, I just changed the notification settings around the same time this all started so now i feel like an idiot for not thinking to check that...LOL. Live and learn. But @Jesse Lambdin glance at your settings just incase!

• 2 weeks later...
On December 6, 2015 at 1:43 AM, DealTrakr said:

Best to file a bug report because that is not normal.

Tier 3 support I believe was the ones who helped me to isolate the issue so they knew about it. I believe there was a fix in the most recent update but I've been too busy to try it yet. Will soon...

On December 9, 2015 at 0:34 PM, autumnwalker said:

had the same problem with post speed being EXCEPTIONALLY low on topics with follows.

was using local SMTP server to send email; switched to Mandrill and issue resolved.

See my above post incase you want to re-test since the update...

Archived