Why aren't general and responsive css merged?

Kirill N

Specifically because responsive is a theme setting. While theme settings work in CSS, the actual logic one would need to honor responsive disabled with them both in the same css file does not, and allowing full blown template logic in CSS files is a bad idea.

​Thanks for the response. I wonder how many people even use that setting and why would you even disable responsive design.

• Management

​Thanks for the response. I wonder how many people even use that setting and why would you even disable responsive design.

​We didn't have it in early versions but some people are very clear that they don't want mobile support. I don't get it either.

​We didn't have it in early versions but some people are very clear that they don't want mobile support. I don't get it either.

​But is it worth making the page load twice as many css files just for like 0.5% of the customers? If they really don't like responsive design they can just go through the css templates and remove responsive bits.

I'm trying to make my Google Pagespeed score higher and I managed to bump it to 90/100 on desktop which is pretty awesome but I can't get past 75/100 on mobile because it keeps telling me to "eliminate render-blocking CSS in above-the-fold content".

I understand that Google Pagespeed are just recommendations and it's not a big deal if the scores are not perfect, but still, I want the suite to be as fast as possible, and I'm sure IPS team does too; and I just don't think that 20 people not wanting their sites to look good on mobile (what the hell?) is a good reason to load twice as many css files in a page's header for thousands of clients. I really hope you guys consider merging the css files.

Archived