RSS Feed - number of items

m@t

Hello there,

I would like to use the RSS feed of my ips website for gallery streaming to my second website - works fine so fare - but i have only 20 items in the RSS feed from the IPS Gallery - where i can change this to an higher number of items in the RSS feed?

IPS support told me that they changed this in IPS 4 to only 10 items anymore !  
I do not understand why they do this and why something is hard-coded

@ IPS 
Please find here an setting .....  

@ all :smile:

Can somebody tell me where i find in the code files/the part to change this number of RSS feed items  (pls. for  IPS4 & IPS3)?

Or is there any modification at the moment for ips3 ? I have not found anything :(

Thank you !

• Management

I am curious as to why it matters? My understanding for RSS is that you get a certain number in the feed (5, 10, 20, whatever) and from there on the program you are using to monitor the feed keeps checking. So while you always have a limit in the feed you never actually miss anything because as new items are added it keeps track. I'm not sure how 10 vs 20 vs 1000 makes a different. Can you explain what you are trying to do?

I would like to be able to limit the number of imports and how many times it runs each day. The reason being, on a forum that is not very active, it's easy for the entire site to be overrun by RSS feed imports. It's nice to get a few new items by the RSS feed without it taking over the entire forum annoying the few active members the site has.

I am curious as to why it matters? My understanding for RSS is that you get a certain number in the feed (5, 10, 20, whatever) and from there on the program you are using to monitor the feed keeps checking. So while you always have a limit in the feed you never actually miss anything because as new items are added it keeps track. I'm not sure how 10 vs 20 vs 1000 makes a different. Can you explain what you are trying to do?

​Charles,

thx for your reply.

It makes for me a different because i do not use it as classic "News" RSS feed - i use the RSS feed as content transfer (also for new items because its perfect) into the other part of my website to fill my gallery there.
The gallery what i have there can be filled with RSS feed items what is perfect and helps me to have not really much work there.

I fill the IPS gallery content with nearly everything which is possible and get very good results also in search engins and rankings there - IPS is here a very good product, i had vbulletin before and the results are more then much better with IPS  :-)

It works perfect with the rss feed of the gallery and the parts of the feed a very good - but i need more items there .... and Alan from ticket support told me that in IPS 4 is the rss feed only the half and i would use after IPS3 update also this feed 

I will modify everything by myself - i need no guide or something more - i just need the info where are the hard-coded facts or a tip/idea how it is to realize - i would like to have ~40 items in the feed instead of 20 now or only 10 in ips4 and as well if its possible (i am talking about gallery rss feed) i need the medium size or big size of gallery images instead only small ones.

thanks in advance

​Charles,

thx for your reply.

It makes for me a different because i do not use it as classic "News" RSS feed - i use the RSS feed as content transfer (also for new items because its perfect) into the other part of my website to fill my gallery there.
The gallery what i have there can be filled with RSS feed items what is perfect and helps me to have not really much work there.

I fill the IPS gallery content with nearly everything which is possible and get very good results also in search engins and rankings there - IPS is here a very good product, i had vbulletin before and the results are more then much better with IPS  :-)

It works perfect with the rss feed of the gallery and the parts of the feed a very good - but i need more items there .... and Alan from ticket support told me that in IPS 4 is the rss feed only the half and i would use after IPS3 update also this feed 

I will modify everything by myself - i need no guide or something more - i just need the info where are the hard-coded facts or a tip/idea how it is to realize - i would like to have ~40 items in the feed instead of 20 now or only 10 in ips4 and as well if its possible (i am talking about gallery rss feed) i need the medium size or big size of gallery images instead only small ones.

thanks in advance

​This is simply my opinion, but that seems something that would be far better suited to a REST API than RSS. Far more control, far less parsing overhead.

Archived