Does a direct database to database migration work well?

snugRugBug

Look at it with the idea of never touch the data directly, always use one of the supplied objects or methods to interact with it.

IPS4 is far more fussy than IP.Board 3 when it comes to data and the format the data is in.

I would suggest migrating to 3.4.7 using our converter app, and then upgrading to IPS4.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

What kind of issues will one be likely to encounter if you did the direct database to database migration?

Will the converter app be simple enough to adapt for our (ancient unknown) CMS? I'm basically asking if I would be able to map a different database structure to the input side of the converter app...

Thanks for the prompt reply.

What kind of issues will one be likely to encounter if you did the direct database to database migration?

Will the converter app be simple enough to adapt for our (ancient unknown) CMS? I'm basically asking if I would be able to map a different database structure to the input side of the converter app...

​Could be exceptions, errors etc. For some users, random users. etc.

The converter app is like a framework for conversions, it has separated files within it for each system we convert from. What you would do is create a new file under the 'ccs' directory and interface with our conversion methods to convert the data. The converters are free to download, I would recommend that you obtain a copy and take a look at the existing CCS converters to see how they work.

Archived