Server lag and processes... search tip needed

I have some long processes causing lag. For large databases with 1 million posts, what are the best settings? Is there a tutorial?

Which search setting would help?

Number of search results to show per page (I had at 200)

Limit "My Content" results to X days (I had this at a very high number so the search could go back to the start of the forum)

Would changing these help?

Thanks

Dedicated with plenty of resources.

mysqltuner is a good general reference, but shouldn't be relied on completely.

http://mysqltuner.pl/

There's no universal optimal configuration, but this thread may be of interest to you as well:

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/395569-optimizing-mysql-whats-in-your-myini/

Also, any chance you could provide a link to your forum? Where are you specifically having problems, what pages are loading slowly?

I have some long processes causing lag. For large databases with 1 million posts, what are the best settings? Is there a tutorial?

Which search setting would help?

Number of search results to show per page (I had at 200)

Limit "My Content" results to X days (I had this at a very high number so the search could go back to the start of the forum)

Would changing these help?

Thanks

Yesterday i said this to another user. Try it. That solved my problem once, although at this moment i can activate it without any problem.

The option "Mark topics a user has posted when displaying a forum" is turned on?

If yes, turn it off and check if that solved your problem.

When i was on a sharing host, that was my salvation.

Are you using a control panel? If yes, have you considered running without one? It'll be faster.

Are you using opcache? If no, you should.

Are you using user cache? If no, you should.

Are you using apache? If yes, you shouldn't... (for simpler answer)

Are you using sphinx? If no, you should.

----------------------------

Most of optimization is really about reviewing what you have and identifying bottlenecks and removing them. That's how it gets faster, efficient and more stable. Besides general recommendations, there's not much we can help without knowing your system in detail. Really really in detail.

Archived