Notifications SMS?

Aiwa

I hate to say it, but I really do miss push notifications from the old iOS app.

I know I can use taptalk, but I've had my fair share of issues with them and I refuse to use them at this point. That also doesn't help w/ these forums..

In today's mobile world, anyone that's heavy into mobile is going to have unlimited text messaging...

I'd like to suggest an additional notification option, SMS / text message.

E-mail is great and all, but many of us don't have our phone check e-mail but once an hour. With SMS, it would be an 'instant' notification, much like a push notification.

This would also bridge the gap between Android and iOS. An OS independent solution to provide all clients the ability to receive instant notifications on a mobile device.

Thoughts?

I hate to say it, but I really do miss push notifications from the old iOS app.

I know I can use taptalk, but I've had my fair share of issues when them and I refuse to use them at this point. That also doesn't help w/ these forums..

In today's mobile world, anyone that's heavy into mobile is going to have unlimited text messaging...

I'd like to suggest an additional notification option, SMS / text message.

E-mail is great and all, but many of us don't have our phone check e-mail but once an hour. With SMS, it would be an 'instant' notification, much like a push notification.

This would also bridge the gap between Android and iOS. An OS independent solution to provide all clients the ability to receive instant notifications on a mobile device.

Thoughts?

Just change the time when your email refreshes? I have it so that my iPhone gets my mail for me every 5 minutes, so it's as close to an instant notification you'll get at this time. I'd love to see SMS notifications (excellent idea), but just saying, this can sorta be solved already.

Just change the time when your email refreshes? I have it so that my iPhone gets my mail for me every 5 minutes, so it's as close to an instant notification you'll get at this time. I'd love to see SMS notifications (excellent idea), but just saying, this can sorta be solved already.

Not everyone is able to make that change and handle the resulting impact on battery life.

I fully understand it requires a 3rd party service of some kind to manage the push. I didn't expect it would come free. At a minimum the requirement of an active license...

I haven't looked into the services to know if they are pay per message or not or how IPS would even be able to market / sell it...

I'm merely putting up the suggestion for a developer to go 'hmmmm' and see if it's something they can do / make profitable.

• 1 year later...

I took care of this by setting message filters in my email client that will automatically forward emails that are notifications from IPB. I forward those emails to my mobile phone email address, so I get a SMS

You would need to know how to configure, it isn't the same for all cell carriers. I use verizon so for verizon it is

your10digicellnumber@vtext.com

Others

AT&T: 10digitmobilenumber@txt.att.net

T-Mobile: 10digitphonenumber@tmomail.net
Virgin Mobile: 10digitphonenumber@vmobl.com
Cingular: 10digitphonenumber@cingularme.com
Sprint: 10digitphonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com
Verizon: 10digitphonenumber@vtext.com
Nextel: 10digitphonenumber@messaging.nextel.com

Archived