Only disapointment

Soniceffect

Hi guys,

I have just moved over from vbulletin. Now first and foremost I want to say what an excellent job you guys do. The software is excellent and my users love it.

My only disapointment however is that IP.Board still does not seem to support the use of imagemagick. Am I missing it somewhere? And if not is this ever going to be added? I know when I last used IP.Board it was stated to be planned for the 3.x series at some point, and we are now on 3.4.x

I just realized that Image Magick is for the gallery only....

Exactly, and this is my point. Rather lagging behind vbulletin in this respect on the forum as its impossible (from what I can see) to attach an animated image to a post without first going to the gallery, uploading to the gallery, going back to the post, then posting. And thats if you want gallery installed. I have the licence for gallery, however I dont at the moment want to use it, and when I do I will not be wanting using it for people posting random gifs to it.

If your issue is just that you can't attach an animated gif and have it animate when attached to a post, there is an open bug report about that:

http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/bugs.html/_/ip-board/animated-gif-screenshots-uploaded-dont-play-r26072

Not holding much hopes for it on looking at that report. Since that was opened I have been on IPB, to xenforo, to vbulletin and back to IPB. I know at some point it was mentioned in 3.x and now seems move to 4.x..

It's a lot of work to do for relatively little gain, it's no wonder it keeps getting moved back. There's a lot better gains to be had for the developers time to have them focus their attentions elsewhere. If you really need to be able to show animated gifs in your topics right now, host them someplace else and use the img bbcode to display them.

It's a lot of work to do for relatively little gain, it's no wonder it keeps getting moved back. There's a lot better gains to be had for the developers time to have them focus their attentions elsewhere. If you really need to be able to show animated gifs in your topics right now, host them someplace else and use the img bbcode to display them.

Thats great for me to do.. Not so go for very non-technical people. Tryin to explain how to upload an image at all can be a struggle LOL. I understand what your saying, but its a fair few versions gone through now and its one thing lacking against vbulletin which I would have thought would be a target, especially at the moment. Gotta say though, if this is the biggest thing I can find (apart from the editor, which I know has been being worked with lately) then invision are certainly on a winner. The software is excellent.

Blimey what do your members make of that, I only have to change a header image and there is revolt

Members come and go at the end of the day. I always have the opinion of not leaving the forum to go stale. I moved from IPB to xenforo because to be honest I expected great things from it and wouldnt have actually moved but for the fact it just stopped being worked on, I therefore moved to vbulletin and made a mistake in doing so, therefore moved back here. Certainly isnt doing the forum any harm as we are still the largest in our particular genre by some margin.

Archived