server question host not much help

I have a dedicated server with Dream host but lately as I log into my ibp ACP I keep getting these messages and I really do not feel compfertable in changing any settings when it comes to the php.ini file for the reasons I simply do not know how to do so properly and those messages are very annoying

and my host says it is out of their range of doing it for me so if someone could possibly help me

and be as specific as possible

my php verson is 5.3 the messages I receive

Suhosin Enabled

The minimum recommended value for the configuration option 'suhosin.post.max_vars' is 4096, however your value is 1000. Your host will need to change this in the php.ini file.
Suhosin Enabled
The minimum recommended value for the configuration option 'suhosin.request.max_vars' is 4096, however your value is 1000. Your host will need to change this in the php.ini file.
Suhosin Enabled
The minimum recommended value for the configuration option 'suhosin.get.max_value_length' is 2000, however your value is 512. Your host will need to change this in the php.ini file.
Suhosin Enabled
The minimum recommended value for the configuration option 'suhosin.request.max_varname_length' is 350, however your value is 64. Your host will need to change this in the php.ini file.
if someone could help I would be greatful

[suhosin]
suhosin.post.max_vars = 4096
suhosin.request.max_vars = 4096
suhosin.post.max_value_length = 100000000
suhosin.request.max_value_length = 100000000
suhosin.request.max_varname_length = 4096
suhosin.get.max_value_length = 100000
suhosin.get.max_name_length = 100000
suhosin.apc_bug_workaround = on

suhosin.apc_bug_workaround = on is only if you also have apc cache running.

you can add that to php.ini

or

you can remove suhosin from server.

If the dedicated server is managed it is up to the host to set your php.ini file according to your needs.

If it is unmanaged it is up to you do change the php.ini settings as needed.

thats the thing I dunno how to find out either way all they tell me is it's out of their hands and if I can do it I dont know how or where to do it at

What OS are you runniing? The only one I am familiar with is CentOS which I run on my live server and local box.

If your running CentOS look in:

/usr/local/lib/php.ini

Edit: You will need to use your server root login, not your cPanel login for FTP.

What OS are you runniing? The only one I am familiar with is CentOS which I run on my live server and local box.

If your running CentOS look in:

/usr/local/lib/php.ini

Edit: You will need to use your server root login, not your cPanel login for FTP.

I'm assuming its a linux the OS I am assuming its Debian Linux

Sounds like it's a self managed server and not a managed one, or they just have poor support. Either way, I would contact someone that can give you a hand if they can't.

^^ haha..... im guessing I have poor support cus I sure as heck dunno how to do this to fix it

if using cpanel the whm backend will tell you where your php file is located too.

as will the php info page in ip board acp diagnostics-overview

Loaded Configuration File will be the ini file

nope no cpanel they don't offer it I so wish they did though

then the acp in the board itself will tell you where the php file is.

ftp in to server and download it, edit it, add those lines.

how do you control your server? purely command line?

I typically just log in via FTP where the board is loaded if thats what you mean

what dreamhost plan do you have?

hard to advise w/io knowing what you have.

the hosting plan i have is called Blue Moon 4 dedicated

and if I log into the ftp the file appears to be under cgi-bin/php.ini

do i just down load the php.ini file from there and just edit it then re upload it back to there (i'm assuming)

etc/php53/php.ini is file to edit

then you may need to trigger an apache restart.

not sure (depending on if they are using piped logs) can just let it wait.

you could do server reboot but really thats last resort

now this is just me guessing as I have not used debian linux, so please take it with grain of salt

Personally I have never had any luck with php.ini changes without a reboot, but you may want to do it when your board isn't busy if that is needed. My restart takes from 20 seconds to a minute to restart. But then mine isn't a very busy board either.

Don't look any further without your root password.

With your ftp client login to your server with user root and password your root password (ask your host for root password)

Navigate to /etc/php5/conf.d/, find file suhosin.ini find and change the values as ip.board requirements and remove the semicolon ; before all the lines that you have changed.

After that, login to your server with your ssh client, typing:

ssh root@your_server_ip_or_domain

Type:

Your (root) password

and then type:

/etc/init.d/apache2 restart

If you do not find the file suhosin.ini (/etc/php5/conf.d/) navigate to etc/php53/ and config the file php.ini or others folders inside etc/php5/conf.d/ containing php.ini or suhosin.ini files.

the dreamhost panel (home built one) says they can do reboots from it but I see nothing saying they can trigger service restarts. I looked in their help wiki but did not see it.

thats kind of odd. may be there but just not in wiki

they did mention file editor so as last resort maybe that would work but I would say root ftp as @faethon mentioned would always work while the file editor may not always work.

I tried editing suhosin.ini and the acp still gave those warnings until I added to php.ini.

but thats centos/cpanel setup so easily may be different

Archived