first thoughts

bridges101

I just installed ip with a few apps. I must say I'm every impressed with the install(installed on localhost for now). The install was super easy, What I like most was I didn't have to edit any files like I did with vb and now with vb5 out you have to edit two files and you have to remember where they are. They are not easy to find.

And what I didn't care for, but I also think it's a good setup because it will make upgrading so much easier. Keep in mind I have been with the same forum system for years. I was expecting all the apps including in one download so I didn't have to download and upload 5 times each way. Not that it's a big deal, you really only have to do this once.

Also what I don't understand why in the install guide it says to make your directories on the server first then upload the contents to their directories rather then just uploading the directories.

And what I didn't care for, but I also think it's a good setup because it will make upgrading so much easier. Keep in mind I have been with the same forum system for years. I was expecting all the apps including in one download so I didn't have to download and upload 5 times each way. Not that it's a big deal, you really only have to do this once.

This is because all apps are separate at this time. You can pick and choose which applications you wish to purchase and thus they are separately available downloads. As we transition to the suite approach with version 4.0, we are going to rethink this process a little to see if it can be improved (no promises just yet). :)

Also what I don't understand why in the install guide it says to make your directories on the server first then upload the contents to their directories rather then just uploading the directories.

This may have been a typo or misunderstanding. You should not need to make any directories before uploading your files, however after uploading your files/folders you need to CHMOD certain directories to allow the installer to write to them.

This is because all apps are separate at this time. You can pick and choose which applications you wish to purchase and thus they are separately available downloads. As we transition to the suite approach with version 4.0, we are going to rethink this process a little to see if it can be improved (no promises just yet). :smile:

I think if anything have like a package built automatically upon purchase with whatever apps the customer has chose. I do like how the apps are separate from the forum though. When upgrading your not upgrading your entire site, your just upgrading that particular app when a new version is out.

No, I think the install guide needs to be updated that's all.

Installing: Step 1 - Uploading

At this point, you should have the zip archive "unzipped" and the contents similar to those shown in the

structure and CHMOD guide

. If you do not have a similar structure, check to make sure you have your zip program preferences set to allow creation of directories and to preserve case and long filenames.

If you haven't done so already, create a new directory on your server named appropriately. If you wanted to access the forums via 'http://www.domain.com/forums/', create a directory called 'forums' in the 'public_html' or 'www' directory on your webserver. This varies from server to server so if you're unsure of your "webroot" directory, please contact your hosting provider.

Using your FTP client, move into the directory you wish to upload to (if you followed the above advice, move into the newly created 'forums' directory.)

Using your FTP client, create the following directories "admin", "cache", "converge_local", "hooks", "interface", "ips_kernel", "lofiversion", "public", and "uploads" (TIP: If your FTP client supports "Drag n' Drop" which most modern clients do, you can save yourself some time and effort by simply selecting all the files from the "unzipped" zip archive and drag them into your FTP client window, this will then copy all the files, creating the directories as it goes. If you choose to do this, you can safely ignore most of the following instruction, just remember to CHMOD as outlined in the stucture and CHMOD guide).

Once the directories have been created, CHMOD "cache" (recursively), "public" (recursively), "hooks" and "uploads" to CHMOD "0777" (Read/write on Windows file servers). If you receive permissions errors (Internal Server Error 500) later on, you can CHMOD these to "0755" which should correct the issue. Remember that some files in those directories, like an index.php file, may need to be CHMOD to "0644" or "0444" to be accessed and ran on some *nix server setups.

Now, upload the contents of the files in your local folders (from the zip file) into the corresponding directories you've just created on your server. Some folders will contain other files and folders, upload them all - preserving the structure you have in your zip file (for example, upload the entire contents of the "cache" folder on your computer to the "cache" directory on the server).

Once you have finished uploading into the directories, upload the rest of the files "conf_global.dist.php", "index.php", "initdata.php" and "xml.php" to the same place as you created the directories earlier (into "forums" for our example). Once these files are uploaded, rename "conf_global.dist.php" to "conf_global.php" and CHMOD that file to "0777" (Read/write on Windows file servers) as well.

Repeat this process for any addons you are also installing such as IP.Blog or IP.Gallery.

That's it, the most time consuming part is now done! You can proceed to the next step.

Sounds like the older installation document. Without a link, I'll assume that one is out of date.

Here is the current install documentation (documentation has begun an overhaul, so I apologize for the confusion and the duplicated documents): http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/articles/index.html/_/install-and-upgrade/installing-ipboard-r9

Archived