so I am waiting on a kvm over ip switch to correct error I made :(

never used one, any ideas what to expect?
pretty sure I messed up fstab file (only thing I did today so kind of has to be ) and I DID make a backup of it so all I need to do is delete the messed up one and rename the fstab.BAK file.
just wondering how the whole process works, trying to learn while waiting on switch.

Basically, you'll use some horrible (usually Java-based) application and connect to a special IP, which will basically make it almost like you're sitting in front of an actual server with 3MB of RAM and a 3MHz refresh rate on the screen.

I kid, but it's basically like sitting in front of the computer, except slower. You'll be able to do literally everything you can do in front of the machine - access the BIOS, power cycle it, turn it off and on, etc.

Basically, you'll use some horrible (usually Java-based) application and connect to a special IP, which will basically make it almost like you're sitting in front of an actual server with 3MB of RAM and a 3MHz refresh rate on the screen.

I kid, but it's basically like sitting in front of the computer, except slower. You'll be able to do literally everything you can do in front of the machine - access the BIOS, power cycle it, turn it off and on, etc.

I'm not sure where the joke is... It IS some horrible, often java based, application and connect to a special IP which will basically make it almost like you're sitting in front of an actual server.

Here's one tip. If you can avoid the browser based kvm/ipmi launcher, avoid it. Download the ipmi software provided by the hardware manufacturer if you can. It's much better, more bug free, and for the love of god... browser independent. I have no idea why those are browser dependent, it's a freaking downloaded java app that only gets the execution command and identification through a browser. >.>
Last browser based kvm/ipmi I had to use didn't work on (for windows) IE, Chrome, Opera, (for Fedora) Firefox and only worked on windows firefox and linux chrome. Made absolutely no sense to me... And the parts that would break would differ from not launching KVM at all to having minute bugs on some buttons... It's a conundrum.

ok, thanks all.
I think its really just going to be me saying yes to a disc check (we just used the backup fstab I made to get running yesterday) on third drive I'll be using for backups and I think it will probably be browser based. if I can get model # of switch I'll grab actual software though.
since I was running I cancelled queue yesterday (was unable to spend the time yesterday) and filed req early thing morning, will be a learning experience :)

the browser based also had a java client d/l version which I used instead, was fairly easy to use and showed me my error.
in fstab I wrote default instead of defaults and kvm showed it instantly.
system survives multiple reboots and the drive automounts fine, will see how the backups to it go tonight.

I'm not sure where the joke is... It IS some horrible, often java based, application and connect to a special IP which will basically make it almost like you're sitting in front of an actual server.

Here's one tip. If you can avoid the browser based kvm/ipmi launcher, avoid it. Download the ipmi software provided by the hardware manufacturer if you can. It's much better, more bug free, and for the love of god... browser independent. I have no idea why those are browser dependent, it's a freaking downloaded java app that only gets the execution command and identification through a browser. >.>

Last browser based kvm/ipmi I had to use didn't work on (for windows) IE, Chrome, Opera, (for Fedora) Firefox and only worked on windows firefox and linux chrome. Made absolutely no sense to me... And the parts that would break would differ from not launching KVM at all to having minute bugs on some buttons... It's a conundrum.

The joke was the "with 3MB of RAM and a 3MHz refresh rate". Though, having used IPMItool (Supermicro IPMI card), that's not actually far off. Probably the fastest and most usable one I've seen in my time is HP iLO 2, but that costs megabucks (and only comes in Proliant servers) - and for some reason seems to be a .NET ClickOnce application (I suspect it may use Java on other platforms, but with HP - who knows?)

Archived