How IPB's Auto-installer ruined my afternoon...

rgf100

Six days ago I requested an auto-upgrade. Over an hour later I got an 'upgrade failed' email. Odd. Checked the FTP details and so on - all fine. Request it again - same result. Never mind, not going to bother waiting for support to fix it, I'll just upgrade manually. I do so, make the necessary file changes to keep my humble site running as it should, and all is well.

Six days later, I'm happily out in the sun when my pocket buzzes, alerting me to a new email. 'IPS Auto-Installer Complete'. This is six days AFTER I requested the upgrade, and six days AFTER I'd been told (both) had failed. There's nothing I can do on my mobile so I abandon the sunshine and make an hour long trek by public transport back home to figure out what the hell is going on. Some of the file edits I make are actually kind of important. I did not want them overwritten.

What do I find when I get home? Nothing. You haven't touched my server - which is probably a good thing, as I'd be furious if you had. As it is, I'm only quite annoyed.

And what's just landed in my inbox? A SECOND 'Auto-Installer Complete' email.

Hopefully that doesn't sound too ranty, but frankly, I'm unamused.

Have you submitted a ticket as soon as possible after the first complete email? Since we have daily backups as a first thing we could have restored one so that you could have gotten back those edits and then we could have investigated what happened with the auto-installer itself.

1) You have daily backups of MY server?
2) As said, the auto-installer doesn't appear to have actually done anything - it sent me a couple of emails claiming it had finished an install, sending me rushing around trying to figure out what was going on, putting a bit of dampener on my day.

Archived