Followed topic notifications

marklcfc

If I'm following a topic, and theres been say 26 replies since my last visit, I've got 26 notifications for the same topic. :logik:

Wouldn't it be better to have 1 notification, with it saying soandso and 7 others replied to this topic - so instead of adding 1 to the nofification it'll just change how many others replied.

In the past, while using other forum software, i've often struggled with massive notification emails, that were sent to a great number of members who subscribed to those topics. I have huge a community and now that i'm converting to IPB (already bought a full IPB license 2 days ago) i'm wondering if there is a quick/easy way to disable all outgoing emails. My hosting was suspended on several occasions due to massive number of outgoing emails that made my forum look like a spamming headquarter. So, i want to disable the emailing feature, or better, have full control over it. Members love to click on "Follow a topic" button, but what about the consequences with a big community? I believe that notifications should be made to operate mainly within the confines of the forum system itself, with only the most important emails sent to members.

Archived