Topic preview positioning

NeilC

I really like the implementation of topic preview in 3.2 (a great improvement over 3.1) but would you consider moving the positioning of it to the left of the topic title please? If you're using a trackpad, it's a pain to be hovering over a title that you're wavering between clicking and previewing, deciding that you want to preview it and then have to move your cursor a fair distance over to the right (probably triggering the preview icon in the row above or below in the process)

All of the things that an average user is likely to want to click in the forum view are the left side of the screen (topic title, jump to first unread post button) so from a usability perspective, it would seem to make sense to have the preview button in the same vicinity.

I disagree. Artistically, equalization is quite necessary. Moving it to the left would make the right side a little too plain, in my opinion.

But what should take precedence? Usability, or making it look pretty?

Also, there's already a fair amount of info on the right hand side - last poster info, photo, replies and views stats and "Hot" indicator, plus until it's "activated" the topic preview icon doesn't show, so moving it won't change the visual look of the right hand side.

Not sure what you mean. Do you want to click the the right of the topic title to trigger the collapse to show the first post instead of having to click the arrow is that it?

Do you mean this icon? Where would you move it? I think it is fine where it is as it is an action button and there are no other action buttons on the left side. The left column is a status icon then the title of the post. Those are not triggers or action buttons. moving a trigger there would put a trigger in between two status areas...not sure that would.

Can you make a quick mockup to show what you would like to see?

There is an action button on the left hand side. Probably the most useful one there is - the "go to first unread post" button. I'd suggest moving the topic preview button to between that and the topic title.

I recall that a few positions where tried on the 3.2 preview site, including your suggestion, but it ended up back to where it was originally.

It's a tricky thing to get perfect, when it was over to the left that was all I could focus on whilst scanning down the topic list, it kept grabbing my attention. On the other hand, I agree with you that it is too far away at the moment.

Hopefully someone will come up with a happy medium at some point :)

Archived