Invalid search terms?

Ocean West

looking at the php sql for searching it looks like

img|quote|code|html|javascript|a href|color|span|div|border|style

are invalid search terms:

what if i the forum is about javascript and I was searching for javascript in my search term.

in such event "javascript code" is invalid term...

how would users ever return a result?

If you're searching for javascript on a javascript-centered forum, aren't you likely to get pretty much every post returned as a result if you were allowed to search for that term? The workaround is to choose better search terms, ones that are more specific to the item you're trying to find.

ok then how is the "TAG" system able to find tags with the above mentioned terms...

The tag system doesn't run a fulltext search on said terms; it just looks for other tags, and tags can't contain bbcode.

As mentioned in various other thread previously, the reason those terms are forbidden is that they show up in raw posts on account of bbcode and the likes, even if the post has nothing to do with the actual term [which is really more likely than not]. In these cases, there is no suitably efficient way of differentiating a valid hit versus an invalid one, making any results for the term meaningless as a whole.

Ok try this on... parse the body text raw data (excluding bbcode) when submitting a post - match it against a short list of known search terms or keywords, such as the forbidden words. Then auto tag the post with these terms.

When user searches the site do the inverse parse the search string and match against full search as it is now but then filter if the string matches known tags.

looking at the php sql for searching it looks like

img|quote|code|html|javascript|a href|color|span|div|border|style

are invalid search terms:

what if i the forum is about javascript and I was searching for javascript in my search term.

in such event "javascript code" is invalid term...

Actually it would not be an invalid term in quotes.

Do a search for "quote" (in quotations), you'll see what I mean.

Ok try this on... parse the body text raw data (excluding bbcode) when submitting a post - match it against a short list of known search terms or keywords, such as the forbidden words. Then auto tag the post with these terms.

When user searches the site do the inverse parse the search string and match against full search as it is now but then filter if the string matches known tags.

It would work, but it hardly seems worth the effort for the sake of searching for several additional keywords.

Archived