Simplifying the User CP/Settings Area

Shadow82x

I'm sure this is already on the roadmap for IP.Board but I'll request it anyway... Basically the entire user cp needs to be simplified and the UI needs be improved. In this topic I'll talk about how I feel it should be simplified, setting wise.

The user cp area is far too cluttered with too many options which is not very user friendly. This is something I feel XenForo got correct when designing the user end area. Hopefully IPS can improve it to compete. So... I decided to create a mockup of what I feel it should look like. I feel a lot of settings should be merged together instead of having a list of nearly every setting you can change.
post-105985-0-02278300-1290139968_thumb.

With this layout, there is all global settings (including profile options) on the user cp home. Than each application and their settings is located on the tabs (at the top) like blog, chat, gallery, etc. Keeps application specific and global settings separated nicely. I know the page isn't exactly designed great, but that's something that should and could be easily changed.

The following setting changes were done in the mockup image, that I feel should be implemented:
- Display name, email related settings, and passwords would all be under "Account Settings"
- Notepad and My Attachments are moved to the main user cp screen under "Global Settings"
- My Notifications and Notification Options would remain unchanged
- Profile Settings would be moved to the Settings page. Again, this is more of a global setting anyway and lots of times people go to the user cp to change their signature, profile info, or avatar. It saves a click.
- Avatar and Personal Photo merged into the same area
- Open ID, Facebook Connect, and Twitter Connect would all fall under "Social Connect"

Global Settings
--Global Settings
--Account Settings
--Liked Content
--My Notifications
--Notification Options

Profile Settings
--Profile Information
--Privacy Settings(?)
--Change About Me Page
--Change Signature
--Change Avatar/Photo
--Social Connect

Thoughts, Feedback, Comments?

userCP would be more useful if it can feature the latest updated subscribed threads and sections (like in vB3).
Settings can stay in subpages. A big enough improvement would be to have setting pages switch in ajax rather than every setting page and tab to require a separate save (so users can switch among tabs and settings without losing their changes).

• 4 weeks later...

userCP would be more useful if it can feature the latest updated subscribed threads and sections (like in vB3).

Settings can stay in subpages. A big enough improvement would be to have setting pages switch in ajax rather than every setting page and tab to require a separate save (so users can switch among tabs and settings without losing their changes).

Anything improvement would be great.

• 1 month later...

I'm still amazed at how convoluted the User CP is when most of IP.Board is quite easy for the userend. I don't frequent IPB forums enough to memorize the layouts (just now launching a IPB forum) so its like I'm a brand new user.

"I'm looking for avatar settings, is that Forums or Profile. Okay, its profile. Change signature, that's gotta be forum settings. Nope, its profile again. How about Facebook and Twitter Connect, those are global right? Wrong, profile. But the one thing that belongs in profile settings is change display name and its under the main settings tab!"

I'm still amazed at how convoluted the User CP is when most of IP.Board is quite easy for the userend. I don't frequent IPB forums enough to memorize the layouts (just now launching a IPB forum) so its like I'm a brand new user.

"I'm looking for avatar settings, is that Forums or Profile. Okay, its profile. Change signature, that's gotta be forum settings. Nope, its profile again. How about Facebook and Twitter Connect, those are global right? Wrong, profile. But the one thing that belongs in profile settings is change display name and its under the main settings tab!"

Yeah the current structure makes no sense at all. I *really* hope this is being changed in 3.2.

• 1 month later...

I like Shadow82x's suggestion to centralize the user settings.

One thing that's always confusing to users is what the heck is a profile. The system idea of a profile is different from a civilian's idea of a profile.

I like it that IPB's Profile group is what *other* users see about the user. This is the civilian's idea of a profile.

Currently, what is Manage Ignored Users doing in Profile? It should be in Settings.

Archived