Notification of "quoted post"

Luke

Using the multi-quote button to capture post ids are a good temporary solution. But it's still not very accurate... Using the already provided post id in the quote tag would be better because it's based on what is actually posted, not what is clicked. Plus you *could* make it work if you were to edit a post. Compare the original post to the edited one to fish out any new member ids.

How do you think the post ID's are obtained to put into the quote tag? :)

Wolfie as far as quoting a post from a different topic, I've decided that's also a bad idea. What happens if a moderator quotes a post from a public topic in a staff forum? Then you'd have to check to make sure that the member being notified even has access to that forum. That would make things much more complicated, so it's really not worth it. That's why the post id must belong to the topic you're posting in for it to send notifications.

I quote a post of yours and for some reason, a staff member moves the topic to another forum that neither you nor I have access to. You click to view the quote but can't. Same thing and is actually more likely to happen than what you described. Plus, if a member gets that notification, they'll likely assume that the message got deleted or moved anyway, that somehow it wasn't meant to be said nor seen, so they'll either not think twice about it, or ask about it. Which is what someone is likely to do as it is.

Archived