Typical Ticket reply time? Five hours and waiting during the daytime.

Fast Lane!

I am having server loads of 20-100 after upgrading to IPB 3.0.5. My first ticket was replied to me 5 hours ago. The second ticket I filed is very recent but should I expect to wait 5 hours or more for that? I mean really, I have loads of 100 in spikes. IPB 2.3.6 was running sub 1. I have done all the tweaks I can. My ticket(s) should be clear.

For record, my latest ticket for loads is:

The loads yesterday were up to 100 (or more). Mysql seems fine (no locked tables or slow queries). I also have a robots.txt to limit crawl speed. My loads after all my efforts still hover at about 20 or more during peak hours.

I have eaccelerator, php 5.2.13, Mysql 5.0.89, apache 2.2.15. My server has a RAID 10 configuration with 15k RPM drives. The Network Operations folks told me my server is just fine on Disk IO and it is all CPU usage.

I see this is a very common problem with large boards. I get about 550 people online at any given time. Because there are typically no dB locks the forums work -- slow. I also use sphinx and it is running just fine. I checked indexes and they are all there (per your tool). I am not running any of the PM or posts conversion scripts.

Also, I had to turn off "Enable Topic Marking Tracking?" If I left it on I get tons of queued queries on a locked table. I get massive locks on this table: ibf_core_item_markers. Simple delete queries hang and never come back. I have to restart mysql to clear them. There are simply too many to kill. If I leave this feature on then my server goes bye bye. If I turn it off it comes back.

Needless to say I need your help. My server has really only one site on it and is beefy. I did not expect this and it is hurting traffic.

If anyone has any recommendations I am open to them in lieu of waiting on official help.

• Management

Tickets like that are not straightforward "How do I?" or "This is broken" so they often have to be escalated to a senior technician. That means it can take a bit longer to research an issue. In the mean time you could also ask your web host to see what is going on at the server level to see if they can help diagnose.

However, in looking at your ticket on this, you just submitted it less than an hour ago :)

The second ticket yes. The first ticket I submitted about 12 hours ago and my last follow up 5 hours ago. So you are right, an hour on ticket 2 and five hours an ticket 1.

5 hours
Open
apache errors with IP Content
Technical Support: General Support

47 minutes
Open
Upgrade to 3.0.5 -- Massive Server load of 20-100

I do trust you guys/gals are pros. But as the day goes on it is harder to eval issues during non load times.
I do not know what is causing the loads but ticket #1 is regarding an error that is being thrown once a second or more by IP Content. It is filling all my logs up and certainly that is not good.

The second ticket yes. The first ticket I submitted about 12 hours ago and my last follow up 5 hours ago. So you are right, an hour on ticket 2 and five hours an ticket 1.

5 hours

Open

apache errors with IP Content

47 minutes

Open

Upgrade to 3.0.5 -- Massive Server load of 20-100

I do trust you guys/gals are pros. But as the day goes on it is harder to eval issues during non load times.

I do not know what is causing the loads but ticket #1 is regarding an error that is being thrown once a second or more by IP Content. It is filling all my logs up and certainly that is not good.

That ticket is a little complicated. As I mentioned in the ticket, I believe the problem is with the code you've provided to IP.Content.
Since this issue involves a lot of poking around in code, it obviously requires a little more investigation (and thus time) than your average ticket. Nevertheless, I've replied asking for some more information and I'm positive we'll be able to track down the cause.

Charles i raised one with billing yesterday about transferring my account.

Ive sold my forum :(

I havent heard anything back yet.

Do you have a ticket ID number for that? I think I see the ticket you're referring to, but it was replied to about an hour after you opened it. It's possible your Email provider is filtering out our replies or something.

WELL: all that has changed now, as Ive just bought a board that runs IPB, so I guess I will have to bite the bullet, and learn this system as well now!

;-)

my shiny new IPB board: http://www.arcticmonkeysuk.com/forums

Cheers,

MOGmartin

Ive sold my forum :(

I havent heard anything back yet.

Sorry to lose you as a fellow IPB member dude. Hope you'll still visit here.

That ticket is a little complicated. As I mentioned in the ticket, I believe the problem is with the code you've provided to IP.Content.

Since this issue involves a lot of poking around in code, it obviously requires a little more investigation (and thus time) than your average ticket. Nevertheless, I've replied asking for some more information and I'm positive we'll be able to track down the cause.

Do you have a ticket ID number for that? I think I see the ticket you're referring to, but it was replied to about an hour after you opened it. It's possible your Email provider is filtering out our replies or something.

I replied with access to the acp :). I am sending non php code (html, etc) to IP Content so I am not sure why that would be a problem. Glad to have you look though.

So seriously. After I posted this a person opened my ticket and asked for some info. I gave it to them within 10 minutes and it has been another 4 hours and not reply. I know I am critical when it comes to customer service, but this is certainly disappointing.

They have not even logged into my ACP to check anything. I will be honest that I am going to kill the ACP account when I hit the sheets later. I do not want to worry about anything hitting the fan while I sleep other than my server load.

Your reply would have been between 8 and 9 PM EST. I'm afraid we have very few staff online during those particular hours. Given that your issue appears to be of an advanced nature, tier 2 and 3 technicians are only available during normal business hours generally speaking.

I understand that your ticket is important and we will get to it as soon as possible. However, we cannot man every support department 24 hours a day. While we have tier 1 technicians working during all hours, unfortunately this is not the case with the higher technical support department levels, and in this particular case, your ticket requires more advanced troubleshooting.

I certainly understand that. My concern was that it took them all day to even ask preliminary questions and then there was no follow up nor indication that "they went home". Either would have been far more assuring.

I empathize. With so many tickets, the technicians can't always get to a ticket right away (which is why we post a 48 hour guaranteed turn around time, even though many tickets are resolved within an hour or less).

I am positive your ticket will be addressed today, if it hasn't been already.

Sorry to lose you as a fellow IPB member dude. Hope you'll still visit here.

Cheers Wolfie, im sure i will take out another forum license at somepoint and i got decent price for the forum.

I still love IPS as a customer and will always happily recommend them to anyone in the future, just like the forum, being part of this forum and eventually getting on the QA team it will always be close to my heart :)

I empathize. With so many tickets, the technicians can't always get to a ticket right away (which is why we post a 48 hour guaranteed turn around time, even though many tickets are resolved within an hour or less).

I am positive your ticket will be addressed today, if it hasn't been already.

Lets hope today. I told them to update the ticket when they are ready (so I can enable them access to the ACP). I don't want a rouge ACP account sitting around.... so I am waiting to hear back.

You know, I would actually be willing to pay money for fast responses if it were an option. By fast I mean like, an hour. A per incident charge for immediate assistance and follow up would be nice. Maybe like starting at $50 to get the top level support within an hours time (and for the during of the fix clearly).

You're possibly hampering yourself there as they will have to wait for you to reply, and then you have to wait for THEM to reply again. You could end up with having to wait until tomorrow that way depending on the speed of both parties replying.

Why is that so hard? They reply and 5 minutes later I will reply back with the "ready to go" message. All they have to do is check back within a few minutes. They should see my reply. I do not think that is soo hard. I do that with my NOC all the time. Hell I would even call them if they want. Or they can call my cell phone too.

I do not know how their system works but my ticket should show pending for a long time since start and show my update. If they sort by "last update (regardless of them or me) and not start date then that is just unsmart.

Bottom line, I am willing to work with them but like having someone work on your house -- you don't give them the keys the first time until you have worked with them before. I trust IPB but not blindly with my business (and the private data of my members). I do have a privacy policy that does matter ya know :).

btw. Getting this nice error on the forums here:

Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 +0000

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/forumsi/public_html/admin/sources/classes/class_localization.php:525) in /home/forumsi/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 93

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/forumsi/public_html/admin/sources/classes/class_localization.php:525) in /home/forumsi/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 96

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/forumsi/public_html/admin/sources/classes/class_localization.php:525) in /home/forumsi/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 104

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/forumsi/public_html/admin/sources/classes/class_localization.php:525) in /home/forumsi/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 105

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/forumsi/public_html/admin/sources/classes/class_localization.php:525) in /home/forumsi/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 109

Why is that so hard? They reply and 5 minutes later I will reply back with the "ready to go" message. All they have to do is check back within a few minutes. They should see my reply. I do not think that is soo hard. I do that with my NOC all the time. Hell I would even call them if they want. Or they can call my cell phone too.

I do not know how their system works but my ticket should show pending for a long time since start and show my update. If they sort by "last update (regardless of them or me) and not start date then that is just unsmart.

Bottom line, I am willing to work with them but like having someone work on your house -- you don't give them the keys the first time until you have worked with them before. I trust IPB but not blindly with my business (and the private data of my members). I do have a privacy policy that does matter ya know :).

We don't sort by last updated timestamp, but we also don't sort by start timestamp. If we did, people would just keep one ticket going perpetually so that their ticket showed at the top of the listing. Whenever they have a new issue they need help with, they'd reply to an existing ticket, sidestepping the system.

We use a weighting formula that takes into account many factors, one of which is start date and one of which is last updated date.

btw. Getting this nice error on the forums here:

Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 +0000 Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 +0000 Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 +0000 Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 +0000 Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 +0000 Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 +0000 Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 +0000 Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 +0000 Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 +0000 Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 +0000 Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 +0000 Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 +0000 Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 +0000 Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 +0000 Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 +0000 Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 +0000 Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 +0000 Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 +0000 Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 +0000 Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 +0000 Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 +0000 Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 +0000 Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 +0000 Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/forumsi/public_html/admin/sources/classes/class_localization.php:525) in /home/forumsi/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 93 Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/forumsi/public_html/admin/sources/classes/class_localization.php:525) in /home/forumsi/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 96 Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/forumsi/public_html/admin/sources/classes/class_localization.php:525) in /home/forumsi/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 104 Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/forumsi/public_html/admin/sources/classes/class_localization.php:525) in /home/forumsi/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 105 Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/forumsi/public_html/admin/sources/classes/class_localization.php:525) in /home/forumsi/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 109

Undoubtedly, someone was debugging/testing.

We don't sort by last updated timestamp, but we also don't sort by start timestamp. If we did, people would just keep one ticket going perpetually so that their ticket showed at the top of the listing. Whenever they have a new issue they need help with, they'd reply to an existing ticket, sidestepping the system.

We use a weighting formula that takes into account many factors, one of which is start date and one of which is last updated date.

Undoubtedly, someone was debugging/testing.

If you make a reply and then I may two replies then my second should not count. It could just be me adding more info to the ticket to you help you but from what you are saying it will lower the rank and put it down on the system. You should only factor my last reply after yours (and not any subsequent).

I still have not heard back on my server load ticket. I do not know if yout system is putting it as a low priority as I have updated the ticket several times with relevant information regarding ACP access, etc.. I update several times over the course of the last 24 hours and have yet to here back anything other than "send us your log in details".

Can someone check. If I am being unreasonable to expect help quickly when my server loads are over 15-30 (after being on average something like 0.1 prior to the upgrade) please let me know. I do have high standards and am willing to pay for help since my time and my business are important to me.

If you make a reply and then I may two replies then my second should not count. It could just be me adding more info to the ticket to you help you but from what you are saying it will lower the rank and put it down on the system. You should only factor my last reply after yours (and not any subsequent).

I'm yet to see a CRM actually work like that

• Management

We have an option to tag a ticket as critical if your site is unusable. Since you didn't use that option I went ahead and enabled it for you.

Also, it would be helpful if you did not remove admin access our staff has requested. It just delays things when we have to ask your admin access, you enable it, then disable it a while later. :) For example, our European timezone staff viewed your ticket very early this morning but you had indicated you had removed admin access so they couldn't do anything to help you. Remember that support is a joint effort between you and our staff :)

Also, it would be helpful if you did not remove admin access our staff has requested. It just delays things when we have to ask your admin access, you enable it, then disable it a while later. :) For example, our European timezone staff viewed your ticket very early this morning but you had indicated you had removed admin access so they couldn't do anything to help you. Remember that support is a joint effort between you and our staff :)

Always a good idea to leave such an account with maximum privileges until AFTER the issues is resolved. At that point, it's a good idea to change the password and demote the account (but not delete it) until it's needed again.

Always a good idea to leave such an account with maximum privileges until AFTER the issues is resolved. At that point, it's a good idea to change the password and demote the account (but not delete it) until it's needed again.

Indeed, we tell people every time we ask for it to leave it on file. It makes our lives a bit easier, and our system is completely secure :)

Archived