View first unread post

Razasharp

To show on the thread pages if they go to the first page of the thread (instead of perhaps clicking on the newpost link). I accidentally forgot to include it in a recent update and lots of my members asked to have it put back in! I didn't realise it was so popular.

I can't see the option here on IPB so posting as a suggestion to get it included.

post-154126-126764640419_thumb.gif

Oh ok I see what you mean.

Couldn't this be done with a template edit? Add the code that pulls in the arrow I mentioned before in front of the title, add that code to the same bar that has thread rating is in?

I don't know enough about IPB yet.. I know just enough to get into trouble! (w00t)

Jamie

Possibly - if the value is available so we can add it as a link. Would need a dev to clarify.

Also, just to add it's particularly useful on threads with polls - as people click on them to see the latest results then want to view the latest reply.

It's not possible at all presently, because as soon as you load the page IPB will mark the topic as read (and thus, not know what the previous "first unread post" is anymore).

I don't foresee this changing in the near future - in fact, I'm not even sure how it would be possible (on any platform). When the page loads, the code has to mark the topic as read (which resets the "last read post" to the last post in the topic, or at best the last post on the page you are viewing). Thus, how would it know on the next click what the first unread post is?

I was thinking the same thing, but maybe it's possible to have the code check (based on the topic markers) what the first unread post is as the topic code is executing, before the topic is marked as read, and then send that value to the topicViewTemplate in order to build this link?

I was thinking the same thing, but maybe it's possible to have the code check (based on the topic markers) what the first unread post is as the topic code is executing, before the topic is marked as read, and then send that value to the topicViewTemplate in order to build this link?

This sounds like a good compromise. Just send the link (that's shown on the forum display page) to the thread and it's placed at the top as per the attachment. That way it's always there and will jump to the correct post if it is clicked.

(Brandon - it's default functionality over the road - tho I guess their thread marking system goes by thread > page, not just by thread.)

This would work on first page load, but not subsequent page loads (i.e. if you refreshed the page).

Archived