Admin/Mod Invisibility

Logan

It would be great if admins and/or mods could be invisible in the chat room, for silent moderation purposes, and just to check in on things without members' knowledge.

Using the chat logs help with that too - but yes i agree a worthwhile suggestion.

with this though, you can moderate live, and as soon as someone is abusive, you can maybe ban them there and then, instead of waiting to look through logs.... this way its much faster to spot those not going by the rules.

True but at the sametime are you always going to sit there 24/7

I didnt disagree with the suggestion infact i supported it - but i just pointed out theres more than one way to skin a cat ;)

One other thing just to be weary of when it comes to hidden moderation it may drive somepeople to communicate in other ways. :)

Yes, the ability to allow for invisible groups would be nice. Of course, you need some way to set yourself "Invisible" before you actually enter the chat. Perhaps in the User CP. And then when you're in the chat you also want the ability to "Cloak" and "Uncloak" (and it should probably state that you have Exited and Entered the chat room when you do so).

..Al

• 3 weeks later...

I think that's a very good suggestion and was going to make the same. In addition to the above I can see it being useful for testing purposes, when you haven't really the time to get in a conversation but don't want to be impolite to the members. Also it could be used to reserve a space for a team member at busy times - useful for those with the lower user limit option such as 20.

Archived