Editor feedback

Guest Brandon D

I want to start off by saying the editor has seen a lot of improvements since the preview forum. I just wanted to post a few suggestions on areas I think that can be improved further for consideration :)

1. In general, bbcodes are inconsistent with each other. For example, if I want to bold some text I just highlight it and click the bold button for the text to be automatically wrapped with the bold tags. If I want some text to be wrapped with spoiler tags I highlight it and select the spoiler tag from the Other styles menu. Instead of the highlighted text being wrapped with spoiler tags I'm prompted for the text I'd like included in the spoiler.

2. I know it's been mentioned before, but we still can't adjust the height of the textarea in browsers that don't include native support for adjusting textarea dimensions. Even the crude increase/decrease buttons within IPB 2.x's editor would be better than nothing. Obviously, something that allows you to drag the textarea to adjust it's height would be ideal.

3. Clicking on a bbcode that doesn't prompt you for information doesn't close other editor prompts. For example, if you mean to click the Quote button but accidentally click the email address button the prompt isn't closed when you click on the quote button.

They're all pretty much "nice to have" suggestions and like I said, the editor has seen a lot of improvement. I <3 the ESC close functionality that was added and of course the ability to tab through prompt fields and pressing enter to submit the prompt :)

I'm pretty sure #2 is going to be included with 3.0's release.

#1 is a LOT harder than you'd imagine, given that custom bbcodes can be configured in a vast number of ways. Some require options, some do not, some are single-tag only (e.g. the hr bbcode), some switch the content and option values around. I just don't think it's going to be feasible to make it that "consistent".

#3 I'm not entirely clear on myself. Care to explain a bit more?

#3 I'm not entirely clear on myself. Care to explain a bit more?

Example: Click on the add email address button so that the prompt comes up asking for the email address and the text you'd like to give it. Now click the quote button next to it, the email prompt doesn't close. Just a minor annoyance for those that meant to click on the Quote button but accidentally clicked on the email icon first.

Glad to hear #2 should be added. #1 was also just a minor annoyance and I understand if it's not included :)

@Brandon D: Ah, I see what you mean now. Something like when you click on image, then email, the image popup disappears?

As for me, I have 2 things:

1) Some form of hover background colour for the drop-down menus, and the options inside them in the editor, even if it is literally only a slight change. Just something to confirm that you have hovered.
2) The ability to type a URL in for say, and image, and hit enter to put it into the textarea. That is the a thing that really is missing from the editor.

:)

Archived