Limit PM's Per Day/Hour

Guest WebbyB

Hey!

As alot of forum owners will appreciate - it's not hard for a user to sign up and send spam pms to every member of the forum.

Can you create some kind of limit set in the Admin panel - e.g. PM Send limit [ 10 ] a Day or an Hour, This setting can be per usergroup.

Would be great for something like this could be implemented.

Cheers.

I personally don't like this idea. The limitation of the PM sytem isn't very friendly to the users of the board.
I think there are some ways to fight against spam bots that are more efficient. For example a "report as spam" function of pms could be integrated (if there isn't already one, I don't know exactly).

I don't think having a "Report as Spam" function would work - as - it wouldn't serve much purpose as by the time a user had sent a complaint the spammer could have sent a pm to everyone on the board....Not Good..

So perhaps some kind of max posts required to pm over x amount? OR something in place that new members who have joined before a 30 day period (user definieble) can only send x amount of pms. Or even an option.. if your going to Ban or Delete an offending member - you have the option to delete their PM's from users inbox... Hmmm...?

I don't know I thikn it needs something a bit better than it currently has to stop these sort of incidents.

I don't think having a "Report as Spam" function would work - as - it wouldn't serve much purpose as by the time a user had sent a complaint the spammer could have sent a pm to everyone on the board....Not Good..

So perhaps some kind of max posts required to pm over x amount? OR something in place that new members who have joined before a 30 day period (user definieble) can only send x amount of pms. Or even an option.. if your going to Ban or Delete an offending member - you have the option to delete their PM's from users inbox... Hmmm...?

I don't know I thikn it needs something a bit better than it currently has to stop these sort of incidents.

I understand your problem very well. I hope the registration system of IPB 3.0 will stop bots before finishing the setup of an account. Nevertheless your suggestions are unnecessary, but it would be more useful to limit the pms (or private threads or whatever) just for the first days after the registration, because permanent restrictions and limitations to the pm system will get on the nerves of the members. For example I'm the member of an vBulletin powered board which allowes the members of the board to send one pm every 60 seconds. Thats terrible if you try to have a converation or simple chat (that means short pms written in << 60 seconds). To fight against spam is important, but it shouln'd kill the usability.

I understand your problem very well. I hope the registration system of IPB 3.0 will stop bots before finishing the setup of an account. Nevertheless your suggestions are unnecessary, but it would be more useful to limit the pms (or private threads or whatever) just for the first days after the registration, because permanent restrictions and limitations to the pm system will get on the nerves of the members. For example I'm the member of an vBulletin powered board which allowes the members of the board to send one pm every 60 seconds. Thats terrible if you try to have a converation or simple chat (that means short pms written in << 60 seconds). To fight against spam is important, but it shouln'd kill the usability.

Great stuff, glad you agree with my suggestions :)

It's not only bots - but also real-life posters. Any sort of restriction perhaps from one of the suggestions we have made here would be great :)

Cheers :)

Archived