Amend users topic and forum subscriptions

Guest Fubra

I keep getting users complaining that they are receiving loads of email notifications. They subscribe to a topic and then can't find the setting in My Controls to unsubscribe.

I think this highlights a couple of issues:

1) People subscribe to topics and then do not know how to manage their subscriptions and unsubscribe. Perhaps this needs to be looked at again to see how it can be made more user friendly.

2) The functionality to amend a users subscription is needed in the Admin CP. I have to keep fixing this for users even though I tell them how to cancel their subscriptions. I have to change the users password and then login as them which is far from ideal.

There lies another issue regarding labelling. The email tells users to go to their 'Control Panel' but the link is called 'My Controls' and then when they click on it it's called 'Control Panel'. I think we need a bit of consistency here.

I still think this is a function that Admin should have. It depends how pc literate the forum users are on your actual forum. I have over 10,000 members and that covers a wide range of pc literacy levels.

I agree that there should be consistency vis-a-vis My Controls and 'control panel'. However that is easy to alter.

Most of my members have a hard time with the expression 'case-sensitive passwords'.I choose to not use 'upper-case' or 'lower-case' expressions. I usually have to say 'big A' and 'little a'. :lol:

Hmm, wasn't there a cross site request forgery vulnerability that could trick people into subscribing to stuff?
I recommend that you check the signatures/popular posts for images that points to your own board.
If you don't like doing a manual database search to find the thing (like because you don't know how), try using a http debugging proxy like Fiddler to get a list of all requests that your browser makes for you.

Archived