Encode IPB

Guest Quick

What are you talking about Joshua? I'm paid in coffee and cigarettes :unsure:

If Lindy and Charles pay you in coffee and cigarettes, then how can you afford the new car that you just bought? Or the house? I thought we bought things in today's economy with money, not material goods (eg, go into a store and say "give me x item and I'll pay you with a weather radio / car lift kit / old and used computer / etc.")? See my point? :P

If Lindy and Charles pay you in coffee and cigarettes, then how can you afford the new car that you just bought? Or the house? I thought we bought things in today's economy with money, not material goods (eg, go into a store and say "give me x item and I'll pay you with a weather radio / car lift kit / old and used computer / etc.")? See my point? :P

:blink:

I am paid in hot wing sauce and trash can lids.

In my opinion IPB should encode some of the source code to reduce piracy. You can never eliminate piracy, but you can certainly minimize it to a point where the company isn't loosing a major amount of money.

A few suggestions:

[list=1] [*]Installer and SQL encoding - Require domain from IPS which license is intended to be installed on upon installation, easiser so IPS doesn't have to contact the majority of hosts to get the site shut down [*]Secondary Check - Embedded inside IPB that checks if the domain name is the same as the one on the IPS database every few days and will then report it to IPS. If installer is breached then the secondary installer will stop the board from running

[/list]

I prefer NOT encoded. I may many small edits to tweak, tune and generally improve IPB for my personal needs. Locking out the code would prevent this. It would also reduce the ability for users to find flaws and fixes in the code that help everyone.

the way i see it theres only two reasons why it'd needed to be encoded, 1 is to stop copyright infringement however for this only 1 main file would need to be encoded which could include your licence info etc. 2nd reason is to protect the code from being copied by other companies. since this wasn't a issue with existing versions i doubt it'd a issue in the future seeing as you sueing them would cost em too much :P.

2nd reason is to protect the code from being copied by other companies. since this wasn't a issue with existing versions i doubt it'd a issue in the future seeing as you sueing them would cost em too much :P.

The whole product would have to be encoded for that which I'm sure nobody agrees with and I doubt any company would steal anothers code since it would be strikingly obvious. Ever wondered why IPS doesn't publish roadmaps anymore? :lol:

The whole product would have to be encoded for that which I'm sure nobody agrees with and I doubt any company would steal anothers code since it would be strikingly obvious. Ever wondered why IPS doesn't publish roadmaps anymore? :lol:

because women can't follow roadmaps? :blink:

I prefer NOT encoded. I may many small edits to tweak, tune and generally improve IPB for my personal needs. Locking out the code would prevent this. It would also reduce the ability for users to find flaws and fixes in the code that help everyone.

But on the flip side, if you cant see the full source it makes it hard to develop a way to exploit flaws ;)

Which is the worst form of security :P

While true in principle, you have to admit that encoded scripts, frequently, are less targeted and/or have less exploits reported against them. It may only be because no one can SEE the exploit that is right there, but at the end of the day, end users really don't care...

lol

Archived