Where is the latest change to Alternate Contact access described?

Guest Wazoo

After some back and forth via the client center (Ticket #448329) I received thi stoday;

Staff: Nakisha - Today, 11:37 AM

Hello,

The permissions for alternate contacts have been updated. You will now have access to the Skinning and Design forum on the company forums. Unfortunately, as an alternate contact, you will not have access to the customer lounge. If you have any other questions, please ask. Have a great day!

To which I replied and decided to bring here ....

I really don't care about access to the Skinning and Design Forum actually, As I said, the last post identified looked like something I could answer, noting that is was not a "Protected Forum" and found that I was locked out of that also. So I offered that data up to explain the situation.

As stated (many times over the years) I am the guy that does the application install, code modification, handle the hacks, on and on, in the caase of this IPS Forum install. It's the actual 'real' data that I want/need access to in order to stay up with the problems and issues ... Trying to use the BugTracker to to 'stay current' is a lost cause, especially when the actual code changes aren't being listed there as part of the "Status: Fixed" replies.

It's not like I wasn't active .. out of the hundreds of posts made in the "customer area" to the best of my knowledge, there's less than a dozen "questions" .. almost all posts were "answers" to other users. I have no idea how many other people's Forum installs I helped to resurrect over the years, at least a couple of dozen handled by hitting thier servers directly.

In my case, this change of situation (now the third/fourth shift in this decision???) really sucks.

Some permissions issues may not be entirely situated yet (as was found with the Skinning and Design forum).

Alternate contacts should have access to the areas that the main account holder has given them access to in the client area. For example, if alternate contacts were given access to an IP.Board license in the client area, they should have access to areas here on the forum related to IP.Board (product modifications, modification development, IP.Board peer-to-peer tech support, for example). Alternate contacts, however, do not have access to the Customer Lounge and are not placed in the Customer group.

Similarly, alternate contacts should have access to the appropriate sections on the resource site (in the example above, IP.Board related article categories and download manager categories).

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, just so I'm clear on this. Permissions are set in the client area for alternates to allow access to the support sections of this forum by the primary contact?
Also, I now have two accounts here (-DC- and -DC- merged) and would like them combined. I am able to login to the client area as an alternate but using the same login information here is brings up the merged account.

• 2 months later...

there should be 2 types of alternate contacts, one thats limited to asking for support and access the knowledge base, another with full access but without access to owner details like the license keys or credit details. i have to belong to the later, im running 2 sites but dont own any of them ... im acutally using the owners account now since this grants me full access.

Ok, just so I'm clear on this. Permissions are set in the client area for alternates to allow access to the support sections of this forum by the primary contact?

Also, I now have two accounts here ([b]-DC- and -DC- merged[/b]) and would like them combined. I am able to login to the client area as an alternate but using the same login information here is brings up the merged account.

If you submit a ticket your accounts can be merged. Because everything is based on email, and your username was in use when IPS Beyond was merged into this site, that's why you have two accounts (your emails weren't the same).

Yes, permissions are set in the client area by the account owner. They control access here, on the resource site, and in the client area.

there should be 2 types of alternate contacts, one thats limited to asking for support and access the knowledge base, another with full access but without access to owner details like the license keys or credit details. i have to belong to the later, im running 2 sites but dont own any of them ... im acutally using the owners account now since this grants me full access.

Why should there be, though? :unsure: You didn't exactly answer my question - what access is it that you don't have with the alternate contact that you do with the owner's account that you need (obviously not things like credit card details)? Is there a section that you need to be able to access that you can't? Mind you, I don't fully know how the client area works, so it's possible there is something you need access to I'm just not aware of myself - that's why I'm asking. As for here and the resource site, you SHOULD have full access to whatever packages the account owner gives you access to. i.e. the account owner buys IPB and Blog. They give you access to IPB. You should have full access to all IPB related forums here and IPB related sections of the resource site. This seems to me to be proper, and is why I can't understand what it is you are trying to access that you can't.

Archived