RSS Export

Guest softshape

Hi all,

my provider recently changed forum engine to Invision, and now all links in the RSS export point to the first message in the thread, not to the latest one (as it was before and as it supposed to be). When I asked him he said that the RSS module has to be rewritten. Is it so, or there is some option to handle RSS Export options ? How to make it point RSS items links to the latest message in the thread ?

Thanks,
Jury.

We show the first post in the topic.

Any reason for that ? I can accept you show the first post, but can't imagine what's use of the link to the first post. It's a forum, and all the time I click on RSS link I have to find new posts manually. It's a headache when the topic is from 4-5 or more pages.

Because, with ANY other RSS feed you'd see practically, you link to the "story", which is the equivalent to the first post. That's not to say there wouldn't be usefulness in adding functionality allowing you to pull the last x posts from a topic, but it just wasn't originally designed that way.

Because, with ANY other RSS feed you'd see practically, you link to the "story", which is the equivalent to the first post.

This is OK for blog RSS, but not for the forum RSS. In the blog the news is first post because it's the only post. In the forum the story continues, and news is the latest post in the thread. Needless to say that all other freeware forums I know offer "link to new messages" feature, I just wonder why commercial forum lacks it. If it's your way - fine, but implement a switch to more traditional (and more logical) way.

I've never seen an RSS feed the way you're describing the 'traditional' way, every one I've ever seen has been the same way IPB does it: the feed gives you a snippet of the story and a link to view the full story. Mind you, I'm not an RSS junkie, so maybe the ones I've seen are all non-traditional, but I'm guessing probably not.

I've never seen an RSS feed the way you're describing the 'traditional' way, every one I've ever seen has been the same way IPB does it: the feed gives you a snippet of the story and a link to view the full story.

I've developed a Windows client software for my Ethernet provider which aggregates all provider's services he offers to his clients. Among other things, it displays provider's forum latests posts, and I do read it every day. Users of this client don't even know about RSS behind it. It was fine with the old forum, but now you can easily imagine the way one should go to find new replies in the topics. It's a waste of time.

In short, the way Invision implements RSS export now is for occassionaly reading of slow forums, it's a headache for active forums and active readers; it's bad for communication, while forums suppose to be designed for that.

Guys, it's a matter of one option, I guess it should be easy to implement.

• 1 month later...

I found this thread while looking for reference to a patch I recall seeing that supports individual posts in the RSS feed rather than topics. I know this isn't a support forum and I'll continue my search but thought I'd at least pause long enough to say that I, too, would prefer thing work more like softshape describes than the way the do now. I really do believe the current method is right for a blog and wrong for a forum.

Archived