Optimize CSS

Guest Luke

It is actually quite helpful to optimize the CSS on a skin. But it sucks when you loose the human readable version. It would be neat if IPB used the human readable version as an "editable copy" and optimized the CSS in the cache.

This is a good idea :) Although it's not a wonderful solution right now, there is a way you could do it for skins you've already installed. Open the css_*.css file, run it through the compressor and save it, that will give you a small version that will be loaded on board pages. Because the CSS editor in the acp uses the database version, that will still be human-readable (but when you make any changes, the cached file will revert to its full size, so just repeat the compression).

Obviously for this to work, you have to have enabled 'cache to css file' in the skin options.

Ah I hadn't thought about saving it in the cached file directly. I just did it through ACP and backed it up the original on my hard drive.

But as I had to use a third party tool to optimize it, it would be neat if IPB automatically optimized it when cached to a file :)

1. something

You used to be able comment and put blank lines in to your heart's content, and these were all stripped out of the cached version.

The only time I can remember this happening was with the CSS Colors editor, and it wasn't really an optimization feature.

Archived