Requests for the next major release.

Guest uratoh

There are a few small things I'd like to request/suggest for the next major release of IPB.

First off, showing which profile a person is viewing in the Online List, exactly how "Viewing Topic:"/"Viewing Forum:" works.

Next up, a yes/no permission for each group under "Moderation Permissions" for viewing anonymous members. Having only ROOT admins viewing them has become a pain on our forum to the point that we've considered turning off the entire invisible system.

Next, more control over the "Moderator Tools" in the My Controls page. One of our non-global moderator groups needs to have access to the IP Tools there, and currently they have to contact a global mod or an admin to get any IP information. A yes/no permission, again, for each group under "Moderation Permissions" would be nice.

Lastly, and I've requested this before, I'd like more control over the Moderating Team page. As is, it's extremely basic and un-useful, and I'll explain why. First off, it just groups any person with ACP access as an "admin", and that isn't the case on our forum. We have a group of people who are "Assistant Administrators" with access to only a few parts of the ACP, and as such they aren't considered full administrators. We've also hit problems with our moderator groups. We have five or six groups of moderators with power in certain areas of the forum (id est, Graphics, Off Topic, etc.) and we'd like to show them separately on the Moderating Team page, not just under one "Moderator" listing. A "Show this group on the Moderating Team page?" yes/no for each group would be appreciated (again, under "Moderation Permissions" in the group setup.) Because of the lack of control over the page, we've actually done away with it entirely and redone the entire page by editing the templates with our own listings. We have to edit the template every time the staff changes, and it's a pain. x_x

Lastly, and I've requested this before, I'd like more control over the Moderating Team page. As is, it's extremely basic and un-useful, and I'll explain why. First off, it just groups any person with ACP access as an "admin", and that isn't the case on our forum. We have a group of people who are "Assistant Administrators" with access to only a few parts of the ACP, and as such they aren't considered full administrators. We've also hit problems with our moderator groups. We have five or six groups of moderators with power in certain areas of the forum (id est, Graphics, Off Topic, etc.) and we'd like to show them separately on the Moderating Team page, not just under one "Moderator" listing. A "Show this group on the Moderating Team page?" yes/no for each group would be appreciated (again, under "Moderation Permissions" in the group setup.) Because of the lack of control over the page, we've actually done away with it entirely and redone the entire page by editing the templates with our own listings. We have to edit the template every time the staff changes, and it's a pain. x_x

I really agree on your last one! I'm having this problem too, It be great if there's more control of the Moderating Team page.

I would like Ver 3 to pick up on some the basics that never seem to be addressed. Some of those are:

1. Disallow signature images but allow links in signatures. Currently all that you can do is allow or disallow html and bb code. I only have bb code enabled so that members can set up links to their home page in their signature. But I don't want them to have signature images. I'm sure many sites are like mine and can't stand signature images but are quite happy for home page links in signatures.

2. Have maximum image sizes in forum attachments. Currently the only restriction is file size. I have my size set at 2mb so sometimes a member will go bananas and post an image 2056x1024 for example which is just rediculous. If the gallery can have image size restrictions so should uploading images to the forum.

3. Links system should be part of IPB or as a IPB product. Yes Links system 3 is by bFarber but it needs a bit more polish. Fairly standard for websites is having a links section.

4. Portal needs more options. e.g. Latest discussions should have the option to change to recent replies. This saves many of us having to install a mod.

My 2 cents.

3DKiwi

First off, showing which profile a person is viewing in the Online List, exactly how "Viewing Topic:"/"Viewing Forum:" works.

Not sure if everyone would go for this, but I guess it could be useful. I guess it makes sense if you can see who is viewing your profile you should be able to see what profile someone is viewing from their profile.

Next up, a yes/no permission for each group under "Moderation Permissions" for viewing anonymous members. Having only ROOT admins viewing them has become a pain on our forum to the point that we've considered turning off the entire invisible system.

This is really needed, but I'd rather see it as a group option. I rarely ever use moderator permissions because for our staff it doesn't make sense for one person to only moderate a handful of forums permissions wise. I mean we have assignments, but what ended up happening is a moderator would read a forum not in their area and report something they saw that was bad while the other person was not online. It was just easier for them to take care of it themselves.

Next, more control over the "Moderator Tools" in the My Controls page. One of our non-global moderator groups needs to have access to the IP Tools there, and currently they have to contact a global mod or an admin to get any IP information. A yes/no permission, again, for each group under "Moderation Permissions" would be nice.

Could be useful. I would like the IP Tool to be clarified more. Seems very confusing when you search for a member name and it only looks at registration IP's and not at everything (if that makes sense)... I think it should be more like the AdminCP IP tool. Would make more sense to me.

The thing about this is different people have different needs. The root problem is that this page assumes how you want your staff list setup, and generates it for you accordingly. This just doesn't work. What if I don't want someone listed? Like if I have a guild forum and a "guild leaders" are moderating their forum, but they aren't considered site staff. I'm sure you could come up with many complaints about this.

For me there is one solution: Allow the admin to customize the list and categorize/list the staff how he/she sees fit. Of course with this they would have to manually add people to the list, but at least it would be highly customizable.

Another thing I would like to see added to this page is online status.

For the record, I didn't mean the Moderator Permissions when you're adding somebody to a forum, I meant when you're configuring your groups there's a section called "Moderator Permissions", with Can Access ACP, Is Super Moderator, and Can Post in Closed Topics. That's where I meant. ^^;

• 4 weeks later...

Archived