GDK is still behind?

Guest .Sephiroth.

Well, I check back infrequently, and I noticed IPS has released a new skin with 2.3.0, but when I checked out the GDK for the skin, it's still way behind what it should be.

I would like to see the GDK for the editor images, as well as all those PNG images used in the dropdowns on the profile pages and in the show topic pages where the user dropdown is. (Also that online/offline indicator, star images for ratings, etc...).

A good GDK consists of all the images used in the product, but IPS gives us a half-baked GDK that only allows us to freely modify the button graphics and folder graphics. :|

What is going to be needed to get a GDK for those?

Patience...

The new editor images were introduced with IP.Board 2.2.x, and now we're on the 2.3.x line. Same thing goes for the enhanced profile portal and the images that were added with it.

And this was released HOW LONG ago? The customer base IPS has is still waiting for these GDKs to be updated.

The PNG images (those used for RTE icons and in the profile) are from a licensed icon set that we have used as-is. Therefore, though we could include them in a GDK, they would only be a single layer - it is just as easy to open the png file directly in your graphics editor and edit it. Our GDK's contain our unique, custom images.

I'm not sure what benefit you'd gain from it... the images that we could put in a Photoshop file are exactly the same as the ones you'll find in the style_images/*/ directories. I don't see how putting all the pngs in a photoshop file would make things any easier - in fact, it'd increase the size of the GDK exponentially.

I'm not sure what benefit you'd gain from it... the images that we could put in a Photoshop file are exactly the same as the ones you'll find in the style_images/*/ directories. I don't see how putting all the pngs in a photoshop file would make things any easier - in fact, it'd increase the size of the GDK exponentially.

Maybe, but I'm the kind of person that would rather edit everything in one file, instead of loading each and every file individually. :| I'm sure there's a lot of other people that has the same feeling about it as well.

Maybe you can put those additional images in a separate PSD.

• 2 weeks later...

How would putting one image in at a time increase the size in an exponential manner? ...That makes no sense.

Rather than make us get the images from the style_images directory, it would be nicer if you included either a PSD with them, or all of them individually in a folder along with the already existing PSD.

It strikes me as a wholly pointless exercise to clutter up the ( already pretty large! ) editable GDK with non-editable bitmap layers, just for the sake of including every image. I guess a folder within the zip would work, but it's really not that much work to open up the IPB zip and pull the images from there.

How would putting one image in at a time increase the size in an exponential manner? ...That makes no sense.

Because when you add layers to a Photoshop file, the memory usage grows (not so much the file size, which isn't hugely important). The more layers, the more memory Photoshop uses.

Yes, but that still doesn't increase exponentially by any stretch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_growth

In my experience, it increases the file size evenly (which is fine), but the memory PS needs when you open it increases exponentially (i.e. when you add the, say, 3rd new layer, the total memory required is more than simply the first layer times three).

Regardless, adding the dozens of images to the GDK will make it unusable - a semi-fast computer is already a necessity to use it to its full. It's the nature of the beast in having lots of images in it, adding even more won't help at all.

Archived