IPB 2.3.0 RC2 is avaiable?

Guest Deltafox

I think must not be it privileges us. each of us pays a lot for the license, then I have also bought IPG ICB and IDM... kind when the v2.2.2 has many bugs...
who makes application could participate of it or no? with that criterions are chosen the beta tester? doesn't the exist "bug tracker" for this?
and then the tests should not be public correct? and possible to privately make a will also. on local mode..
I have find many forums use 2.3.0 RC2 in public.. search on google "IP.Board 2.3.0 RC 2"...
in this way every customer can say because to them him and to me no? a little is wrong according to me.

regards

Deltafox, those sites are probably lieing, you can change the version number in init.php, I could say I was running 3.0.0 ALPHA 1 if I wanted to.

yes you are right... I know this

but bfarber have write :

2.3 has not yet been released. It is possible they are in the beta-testers group.

this means that a private group of betatester exists..

to this point I would want to do it also departs of it me like you as all the customers or no?

Regards

We have a small limited group of beta testers who are given a copy of the software while we still feel it is not stable enough for live production use. This is how every single software company in the world handles software releases - it is not something unique we do.

Generally we prefer the testers not to use the software in a live environment, if only for the fact that we cannot support beta releases. However, we don't directly forbid it.

I apologize that you want the release - everyone does at this point. We're working to make it a final release as soon as we can, but in the mean time only a small group of testers who applied and were chosen are given pre-release copies of the software generally.

[..] This is how every single software company in the world handles software releases - it is not something unique we do. [..]

phpBB does not do this, anyone can download the latest release from the SVN server, and they release every development stage of their software. So you cannot really say this.

Ok, some open source companies (which we are NOT) have daily SVN or CVS builds that may or may not work at any given time - I will give you that.

This is how every professionally run company that charges for it's software generally handles releases. ;) A group of beta testers is chosen to test a release, before it is deemed final and delivered to the public.

Ok, some open source companies (which we are NOT) have daily SVN or CVS builds that may or may not work at any given time - I will give you that.

This is how every professionally run company that charges for it's software generally handles releases. ;) A group of beta testers is chosen to test a release, before it is deemed final and delivered to the public.

I am not one of your beta testers but I am one of ocPortal's beta testers and I love it.
I was the first one to use 3.2 and hardly found problems but then when it came out one member not in the beta testing group found about 10 bugs.

Actually, there are plenty of commercial software products that have open SVN.

People Aggregator is a couple thousand bucks, but free for non-commercial use.

http://peopleaggregator.com/

It boils down to Eric Raymond's whole Cathedral and Bazaar metaphor.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/

(I'm mostly logging in and posting to test the new skin in konqueror. nothing jumps out as broken.)

there are advantages to both systems, svn releases allow to quickly taggle bugs reported, but I can imagine that it also increases the number of support requests.

IPB is not free for commercial use. It would be a nightmare to open up our SVN repository - absolutely disastrous. Half of our users can't install the software, much less run SVN patches against live code and deal with the consequences/roll back if needed.

It is not very common at all for *commercial* software companies (and by that, I mean those that don't give away a free copy of the product) to give users access to some sort of daily or regular update without FIRST putting it through testing. It's just not. You are paying for the software and it would be irresponsible of us to just give you untested code.

Archived