Idea from someone else.

Guest Dr. Awesome

I was just on another forum, and one of the members thought about this great idea.

Somewhat off topic, but I think instead of member ratings IPS should also offer average topic rating. Your member rating is based on the quality of the posts you make.

It's a pretty good idea, and credit goes to him Eric for it. Smart guy.

This is straight from his idea, just helping him by posting here.

Reputation in the profile, the profile rating is based on the average topic ratings given by others for that individual person.

So if person "A" has got 100 topics she/he has made in their forum time

50 are rated a ' 1 ' and the other 50 are rated a ' 5 ' that persons reputation/profile rating is a 3. To be balanced out.

And lets say person "B" has got 100 topics also 50 are rated a ' 3 ' and the other 50 are a ' 5 ' it will give a score of 4 on the reputation/profile rating.

And to prevent abuse the person who gives a rating of 1 or 2 must give a small reason on why. Not " ZOMG I want to rate this person a 1111111 roxorz" kind of bullfaeces.

Not bad, but what if the person doesn't really post topics too often and instead just replies?

I think it would be much more sufficient just to have a rep system. And then it just shows in a percentage / bar.

--Ben.

What's really the attraction of a reputation system? We're not still in high school are we?

Unfortunately IPB seems to be gradually going down the road of social networking, MySpace in a forum, I just wish they'd give us the choice of turning all these annoying little bits off.

Yes and no.

Our core focus for IP.Board is, and will remain, the underlying forum. However, as the web evolves, so must we (an internet-based company) to remain competitive. :)

Ideally, as 3.x rolls around, you'll find things like this will be much more controllable.

I personally like how it has blogs and stuff makes the forum much more attractable and keeps users coming back. If only they could make it so the user could call it their own personal webpage for those users that do not have a webhost or know how to build a website.

Yes and no.

Our core focus for IP.Board is, and will remain, the underlying forum. However, as the web evolves, so must we (an internet-based company) to remain competitive. :)

Ideally, as 3.x rolls around, you'll find things like this will be much more controllable.

That's all we want.. the ability to turn off the "kiddie" options.

That's all we want.. the ability to turn off the "kiddie" options.

You can get rid of the star rating system with a script ;) Which I believe is available @ IPSBeyond.com.

You can also as an admin revert back to the previous style of profile in the administration controls.

Archived