IPB Standard License

Guest TheSupportGuy.Com

Hi,

Does anyone else agree the IPS being greedy with their new license agreement. I have a IPB Standard License which has expired recently, as i have not not renewed the support, i have totally no access over my license at all. I asked IPS support if it would possible to provide me the KEY and change the URL they said NO, and asked to renew the support in order to have any changes. :blink:

Doesn't the agreement said we can not download updates or get support unless we renew the license... Is there any mention that in order to modify forum URL and See license key we must have active support ???

<_< I did not had any plans to renew the license for next 2-3 months but I think have to renew i need to change FORUM URL...

I think IPS is being unfair... Does anyone agree ?

I was always told that you needed to open a ticket to change this after it expired (by IPS staff). Perhaps they just misunderstood you? :)

Didn't IPS say, that a expired license, it uneditable even by them? Something about a Nexus limitation.

Yes, but according to IPS you can still use the software on any one url after it has expired. I once told someone to "just use it because of (this issue you mention)" and IPS staff swiftly said "Open a ticket and let us know the new url". Perhaps it is un-editable but, they still store tickets based on clients. :)

the license says you can use it on one url, there's no need to change the url in your client as long as you no longer use it on your old url that should be fine.

the license says you can use it on one url, there's no need to change the url in your client as long as you no longer use it on your old url that should be fine.

That's the exact thing I used to say and an IPS management person stepped in and said it needed to be reported via a ticket. :)

Hi,

Does anyone else agree the IPS being greedy with their new license agreement. I have a IPB Standard License which has expired recently, as i have not not renewed the support, i have totally no access over my license at all. I asked IPS support if it would possible to provide me the KEY and change the URL they said NO, and asked to renew the support in order to have any changes. :blink:

Doesn't the agreement said we can not download updates or get support unless we renew the license... Is there any mention that in order to modify forum URL and See license key we must have active support ???

<_< I did not had any plans to renew the license for next 2-3 months but I think have to renew i need to change FORUM URL...

I think IPS is being unfair... Does anyone agree ?

No, I disagree. You are being unreasonable. The yearly license was exactly... the... same! The key is unnecessary, it is bound into your download. You already have it. And it never needs to be added anyway. Moving to a new URL, even without being able to change the client centre details, should be fine- just flick a ticket through to let them know. Not that hard.

No, I disagree.

You

are being unreasonable. The yearly license was

exactly... the... same

! The key is unnecessary, it is bound into your download. You already have it. And it never needs to be added anyway. Moving to a new URL, even without being able to change the client centre details, should be fine- just flick a ticket through to let them know. Not that hard.

Yearly license costed $65... Standard license is more the double of it. :blink: I asked the support some days ago if they can change the URL and they said NO

My Question

if i request support to change them (URL and Provide the Key)on my behalf, Would that work ?

Thank You!

Debbie's Reply

Thu 26 Apr 2007 03:10:42 PM EDT

Debbie

Hello,

No, you cannot have the URL changed once the license is expired. I'm sorry.

Regards,

Debbie Ruff

IPS Customer Relations

Peterborough, UK

Invision Power Services, Inc.

About people saying IPS need to pay their staff and everything... I do not see the relation here... He is just saying that it is UNFAIR that we can not change URL unless we pay IPS to renew the support.

$149 for Standard license and you are not able to change the URL unless you renew support... that is a expensive deal...

And please do tell me how am He is being UN-Reasonable, asking them to change URL and or requesting the they should change ControlPanel so people who do not which to renew or want to renew the license later are not forced to pay the renewal fee.

• Management

Sorry for the confusion. If you previously purchased a yearly license ($69.95) that has expired, I'm afraid that there's nothing we can do for you as an annual license was just that: if you chose not to renew, your obligation to pay and our obligation to support ends. If you did in fact purchase a standard license ($149) we will be happy to change your licensed URL on record as a courtesy (within reason of course) According to your other topic, it appears that you purchased a second-hand yearly license from someone else that has since expired. I'm afraid there's nothing we can do in that case - the license is expired.

To the poster who advises using it on any URL you wish, I would have to suggest that you not do so as we just relaunched our piracy division and are ramping up our efforts. Those using the software on an unregistered URL will first be contacted to ensure that our records are correct, however, if we don't receive a response (for example, our e-mail gets flagged as spam by your mail software) we would then contact your host and demand that the site be shut down.

I hope this information helps and should you have any further problems getting that URL updated, please let me know.

IMO a legitimate yearly license holder shouldn't suffer because you've decided not to keep updated records for those not paying recurring support. People purchased with the understanding that they can continue using the software after the license expired and without being bound to a specific URL. As long as the software runs on only one address, the person is complying with its terms. I can understand shutting down a site if the owner didn't notify IPS of a new URL and didn't provide a license number to a query. That's not the case here.

Rather than continuing to embrace a Microsoft mentality, wouldn't it be better to treat yearly holders who dropped support as potential returning customers rather than pariah? I don't see what the big deal is in letting them keep your records up-to-date. By refusing to accept their URL updates, I bet your company assumes liability for any loss or damage caused by your shut down demand on a site which is complying with the license.

• Management

One is not a legitimate yearly license holder if you choose to let the license expire. :)

I think we take it further than most even by allowing continued use of the software after an annual license expires. That's fairly uncommon. We must, however, draw the line somewhere. We do not hide the fact that while your software will continue to function after expiration, it does so in an as-is state. Updates, support and otherwise are not provided. This is quite reasonable given most other software companies with annual offerings force you to cease use of their respective software at time of expiration.

Allowing indefinite updates to expired licenses promotes the recycling and often the sale of invalid licenses and quite honestly is counterproductive to any business model. I hope you understand. :)

So, those with expired licenses can continue running the software and ignore your terms? If you don't recognize someone as a legit license holder, I don't see where you have any legal standing to enforce terms against him.

You're drawing the line in a funny place. Keeping your database w/ up-to-date URLs is not providing support it's CYA.

Updates, support and otherwise are not provided. This is quite reasonable given most other software companies with annual offerings force you to cease use of their respective software at time of expiration.

I do not how other companies work, I own a copy of vBulletin (JelSoft), they allow me to change the URL even the support on the license has expired. With a expired license I am not eligible to download the latest versions or as for Priority support but they do allow me change URL anytime and as many times i want.

I think you are confused, the Original Poster said he want that the option to be able to CHANGE the forum URL (only) should also be available to customers with expired support. He did not say anything he should get unlimited downloads or support for free.

So, those with expired licenses can continue running the software and ignore your terms? If you don't recognize someone as a legit license holder, I don't see where you have any legal standing to enforce terms against him.

You're drawing the line in a funny place. Keeping your database w/ up-to-date URLs is not providing support it's CYA.

Exactly what cojo said, how can a person keep the URL updated if there option to do that is taken away unless you pay for the support :blink: Do you guys really think changing the URL should be considered in support (25/6m), when a customer can do it on his own...???

Way to compare apples and oranges. Their yearly requires one to delete the software at the end of the year; IPS has never required this.

Well, discussion is going about current policy about changing the forum URL when the support has expire.

Well, discussion is going about current policy about changing the forum URL when the support has expire.

This is current policy:

If you did in fact purchase a standard license ($149) we will be happy to change your licensed URL on record as a courtesy (within reason of course)

So, now we're talking apples to apples. ;)

• Management

I do not how other companies work, I own a copy of vBulletin (JelSoft), they allow me to change the URL even the support on the license has expired. With a expired license I am not eligible to download the latest versions or as for Priority support but they do allow me change URL anytime and as many times i want.

I think you are confused, the Original Poster said he want that the option to be able to CHANGE the forum URL (only) should also be available to customers with expired support. He did not say anything he should get unlimited downloads or support for free.

Exactly what cojo said, how can a person keep the URL updated if there option to do that is taken away unless you pay for the support :blink: Do you guys really think changing the URL should be considered in support (25/6m), when a customer can do it on his own...???

You're comparing an annual IPB license to a vBulletin owned license. That's not a fair comparison. A vBulletin yearly license requires you to cease use of the software and destroy any copies in your possession. Most annual licenses of software work the same way, however, we chose to allow those with an expired license to continue use. With an annual license, it is not just the support that expires, it's everything beyond use of the software in its then (at expiration) state. No upgrades, no support, no transfers, etc. I'm unsure why that's found to be unreasonable since you've only paid for one year's worth of licensing... perhaps it would be more clear if we had simply followed the industry standard annual licensing terms of "if you choose not to renew, you must cease use and destroy all copies" but I think we're all pretty happy with the decision to allow use past expiration.

As I said before, if you have a IPS Standard license and wish to update the licensed URL (even if it's expired), we will certainly allow you to do so. If you have an expired annual license, you, for all intents and purposes, have no license to update. Your ability to use the software past the expiration date in its pre-expired state does not entitle you to anything beyond just that, I'm afraid.

If you have any further questions or concerns related to this, please feel free to contact me or e-mail management at invisionpower.com

Thank you for your understanding.

Archived