Suggestion

Guest da1Bear

I'd love to see an option for the drop down list in the Custom Profile fields of first item in list is not valid.

Hi dabear!

Not exactly sure what you mean, could you be more specific and/or give an example?

Oasiz, he means that the first item in the dropdown list for the custom profile field is considered invalid - thereby forcing the registering member to actually drop down the list and select an option - preventing them just ignoring it and not filling it in. Unlike Windows listboxes, there is always a default option in HTML dropdowns. He just wants that default to be considered invalid.

Yeah definitely needs to be done. I had someone make me an in-depth reviews system and that was an issue with that. For doing different ratings of items, it needed to have a default that was not a rating. Otherwise everything could be ignored and then the ratings would not even be really what the reviewer wanted.

Personally I think custom fields need a bit of an overhaul and certianly adding validation functionality such as this would be helpful to many users. That said I think this is very specific and we could have a much broader range of functionality included if validation options were to be built in. :)

Basher, your post about the reviews system, that would have been simple, I have done a 'invalid' position in alot of my mods. For example you could have the html as.

<option value='0'>-----</option>

And on the php side

if ( $this->ipsclass->input['whatever'] == 0 )
{
$this->ipsclass->Error( array( 'LEVEL' => 1, 'MSG' => 'incorrect_use' ) );
}

Thats a basic example, theres parts of that everywhere on the admin side, one being the classic error 'Out of all the options in the list, you had to choose the one with dashed lines didnt you? Now go back and behave yourself!'

But, yes it should be implemented :)

I'd love to see an option for the drop down list in the Custom Profile fields of first item in list is not valid.

But can't you do this already? An example:

ACP > Management > Custom Profile Fields > Add New Field

Field Title: What is your preferred programming language?
Description: ...be honest
Field Type: Drop-down box
Maximum Input: 50
Expected Input Format: a
Option Content (for drop downs):
@=please select...
p=PHP
j=javascript
c=C
d=delphi
Include on registration page?: Yes
Field MUST be completed and not left empty?: Yes

If you now go to the registration page, fill in the other fields but leave this custom profile field alone, this message will appear above the field when you try to submit the form:

The data you entered in this field is in an invalid format

If you then select one of the other options, then you can submit the form successfully. Isn't that the behaviour you want to see?

If you want to display the data directly, then it will be inconvenient to just store one letter in this case I'd admit, but if it's just for the admin's eyes or the input is used by a mod or whatever later, then it might be good enough.

Excellent suggestion C_Ind ;)

If you want to display the data directly, then it will be inconvenient to just store one letter in this case I'd admit, but if it's just for the admin's eyes or the input is used by a mod or whatever later, then it might be good enough.

Expected format is a pain. It should be the thing expanded to allow a regex check against the expected input so that any number of alpha characters (or whatever else you want to allow) would be considered valid.

Archived