Ticket support system

Guest Nuro

I have submitted a few tickets recently.

Each time, I get a reply back stating:

Can you please provide the following information as it will help us troubleshoot this issue for you:

Board URL:

Admin user:

Admin pass:

FTP host:

FTP user:

FTP pass:

Firstly, I'm really sorry, but I am sure that you don't need to log in to my board to understand the nature of my problem. It is a general problem that I am sure many other users have had themselves.

Secondly, why the insistance to have the full access to my board? The first email that I used with Invision/Ipsbeyond was compromised and is now being Spammed, what is to guarantee that the full access to my board will be kept safe? It is not your livlihood so it doesn't really bother you. It bothers me so please don't ask for it again.

It depends what the problem is. Obviously if you give IPS access they can fix it for you, if you don't give them access, they can only say "try this", and obviously, that can end up taking weeks to solve a problem that could be solve in 20 minutes or so.

Here's a quote from IPS about it:

You do not have to but it just assists us in helping you faster .. but if you prefer not to add those details, that's perfectly fine!

Not sure how this is IP.Board suggestion related. Seriously though, IPS doesn't send your emails, passwords, or anything else to anyone. If you want fast reliable support, give them what they ask for. What you are saying is like going to the store and buying something. Then you say you want to pay with a credit card. They ask to check your ID and card. "Why should I give you full access to my ID and credit card?", may as well be what you say.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again here.

The only times I've seen people not supply their board url (at the very minimum) means they're doing something they're not proud of.

I disagree there, it's not about pride but it could very well be that discussions about a private/sensitive matter take place.

I believe Nuro's issue is not the board url, but rather the persistent question about admin and ftp access. I would never supply them with my admin username and password for general support, especially not if like in Nuro's case it's likely not needed. If it were really necessary to have admin access to fix, I would create a new member account for ips access with root admin access and delete that account after they fix the issue: trust no1 is a good slogan when it comes to security. :P

But all in all I rather would hear what the problem is and fix it myself, than to have a solution and not know what the problem was.

You are welcome to store the information in the customer center if you do not wish to provide it with each reply.

Also you can create a username and password just for us... and even keep it 'Banned' anytime you don't have a ticket going. And when you submit a ticket, unban it beforehand.

I would say in 80% of the cases, information is needed. Whether it be to fix the problem, to better understand the problem because the description was vague, or to simply troubleshoot it further.

If you are uncomfortable giving the information, that is fine. But please note troubleshooting is limited in that aspect.
To use the old analogy, it is like taking your car to the mechanic saying something is wrong with, but not allowing them to look under the hood.

The other thing to keep in mind is that we are very busy so we don't have time to look at any other areas of a board other than the area that needs fixing. We certainly don't pry into other areas and generally have no interest in private discussions which may be taking place within a customers board.

It's really helpful to have your information to hand, but, if you prefer not to store it, as I have said before, that is perfectly okay, however in some circumstances, without the information, it is going to be impossible to asisst you.

The other thing to keep in mind is that we are very busy so we don't have time to look at any other areas of a board other than the area that needs fixing. We certainly don't pry into other areas and generally have no interest in private discussions which may be taking place within a customers board.

This is true. With your information, it is used for troubleshooting the issue. We do not use it to read person messages, posts, etc.

Our goal is to fix your issue as soon as possible so you can continue on with using your board without any errors, and so we can continue onto the next ticket in the queue. That is what we are focused on -- your personal inforomation on your board is just that... personal.

To use the old analogy, it is like taking your car to the mechanic saying something is wrong with, but not allowing them to look under the hood.

I do understand your view point, but I have another analogy, it is like giving a spare set of keys to your business premises to the computer repair man when he comes to fix a problem.

I'll try and set up a temporary Root login.

The reason that this is in this sections is that there is no section for issues of this nature - If I submit a ticket to complain about the ticket system, I sort of know what I'm going to get as a reply... :)

You will get a reply that they are sending your "complaint" to the proper place (ie management). They aren't going to call you stupid or anything, just like they didn't here. All they are going to do is tell you that if you can't provide the information needed to assist you, there isn't much they can do.

The reason that this is in this sections is that there is no section for issues of this nature - If I submit a ticket to complain about the ticket system, I sort of know what I'm going to get as a reply... :)

As mentioned, if you have a specific complaint, it would be forwarded to the correct person or department, whether it be customer service, management, etc.

• Management

I do understand your view point, but I have another analogy, it is like giving a spare set of keys to your business premises to the computer repair man when he comes to fix a problem.

If you're not going to let him in to fix your problem, then he clearly can't fix it. If the spare keys bother you, then change the locks afterwards. :)

Using the auto analogy, your mechanic will fix your car for you provided you let him under the hood. He's not in the business of teaching you to be a mechanic though, so you have to help him help you. :)

You said email IPS Support

so you use the support@invisionpower.com for your support tickets. This is not good because the email might be sent to the wrong place and have your ticket comprised. Plus I don't know how Nexus works but many email piping doesn't always work on every support desk.

Use

https://www.invisionpower.com/customer/

He said he uses the Client Center. The reference to email is that apparently once IPS looked in his forum to fix a problem, his email was spammed.

• 2 weeks later...

I can say this... I will only use IPB 2.1.7 and below simply because of the great mods that members on my sites demand and use daily, yet even though I may voice how many of these mods should be integrated into the regular package and feel they are constantly passing over great options, yet if I go in and submit a trouble ticket, I have never once had IPB fail to come onto my servers and happily fix what I screwed up.

They didn't complain, nor got upset, nor nosed about. (yes, remember you can watch what they are doing via your server logs ;) Now they did offer once to fix one of the sites at a fee i thought a bit high, so I chose to simply wipe that site and start over - lol, but they did offer.

And I disagree with the thought that anyone whom does NOT want IPB into their systems is hiding something. The symptons being told might be enough, (sometimes,) without having to get undressed and sitting on the doctors table in that little paper gown :) Some do value their privacy and that is their right.

Sure, that is reasonable and understandable. However, don't you think IPS knows their product well enough that they will not necessarily ask you for the information unless it is needed? And, should it get to that point, don't you think that it is reasonable to trust IPS with said access (to expand on your example) as you would trust your doctor to give you a prostate (or female the other one :P) exam? Pile on that that not all customers are able to articulate the problem at hand in a manner that makes it easy for the tech to serve them. Sometimes you just have to see the error first hand, regardless whether the customer thinks that it is necessary or not. That could be equivalent (again) to a patient telling a doctor "I've got a pain in my abdomen".... (and?). So the doctor says "let me take an x-ray". It just seems logical to me.

The original poster was asking why he should have to give IPS the access. As if they weren't to be trusted. What benefit would it be on IPS' part to do any harm to your server? I think that is all that anyone else was saying. While privacy may be valued, if you need help, sometimes you just have to pop open the hood to take a look. Keep the car locked...and all the tech can do is guess. Your choice I suppose... :S

Archived