Merge vB and IPB?

Guest sunster13

Hey,

I was wondering if it was possible to merge vb 3.6.x to IPB 2.2? Is there any possible way, even whereas I have to convert to IPB 2.2 then merge? By merging I mean combining my posts and the others forums' posts so they are all on the IPB board.

Thanks

There is no stock method to merge two seperate forums together. You're either installing a new forum, upgrading an existing IP.Board forum, or upgrading a competing board into a blank database. You should probably actually email them though - the conversions team might be able to do something with this (be aware that conversions are an EXTRA $60 USD on top of the price though!)

There is no stock method to merge two seperate forums together. You're either installing a new forum, upgrading an existing IP.Board forum, or upgrading a competing board into a blank database. You should probably actually email them though - the conversions team might be able to do something with this (be aware that conversions are an EXTRA $60 USD on top of the price though!)

Alright, looks like I might be out of luck. I'll try emailing them.

Use Impex. It's vBulletin's conversion software, and it's quite useful for more than just conversions. Unlike most converters, it doesn't clear the database before it imports the new data, it actually IMPORTS it, so any data in the database to begin with will still be there.

My advice is to use Impex to import the IPB database into the vBulletin database, then use IPS's converter to convert the vBulletin into IPB.

Use Impex. It's vBulletin's conversion software, and it's quite useful for more than just conversions. Unlike most converters, it doesn't clear the database before it imports the new data, it actually IMPORTS it, so any data in the database to begin with will still be there.

My advice is to use Impex to import the IPB database into the vBulletin database, then use IPS's converter to convert the vBulletin into IPB.

Actually that's a great idea. Never thought of that.

Now, will the 3.5.x converter also work with 3.6.x? Because as far as I know there is no converter for 3.6.x.

I believe the passwords aren't converted though (not possible since vb uses also a one-way algo for storing them, anyway just thought I'd mention it...)

I believe the passwords aren't converted though (not possible since vb uses also a one-way algo for storing them, anyway just thought I'd mention it...)

I'm sure it will, I think the vB convertor is one of the most used so they'll have ironed out any bugs in it quite a way back.

It would highly surprise me, the password isn't stored in plain text so there's no way to rehash it with the ipb algorithm. Anyway someone who already did the conversion can probably shed a light on this...

It would highly surprise me, the password isn't stored in plain text so there's no way to rehash it with the ipb algorithm. Anyway someone who already did the conversion can probably shed a light on this...

To my knowledge, the first time you log into a "migrated" installation, you are required to set a new password.

• 5 months later...

As for the passwords, the first time the user logs in after converting from a software with a one-way password scheme, if the authentication passes that application's scheme we know the password is valid. We then take the raw password, perform our own hashing, and store the password in IPB in our own format. Just for those curious.

@XtremeBrain, I'm afraid we don't provide support via our company forums here. I recommend submitting a ticket for assistance.

Archived