How to stop posts with live links?

Guest HughB

Hi,

I have an invision forum (currently v2.1) where gets a lot of spam posts. It would be useful to be able to disallow a new member group from including links until after a certain number of posts.

This hack seems to fit the bill....

http://mods.invisionize.com/db/index.php/f/6815

Allows you to set group permissions on who granted permission to post live links in posts.

Control via ACP - MANAGEMENT - Manage User Groups - ... - Can post live links?

...but I would prefer invision powerboard supported this directly as I reluctant to apply hacks which may stop the smooth upgrade to new versions and security patches etc.

Does anyone know whether there is something in the works or a possible solution using v2.2?

thanks,

Hugh

yeah it would be nice to be able to have an option for this, much like we have an option for allowing them to use bbcode or html. I dont think its a current option, however I haven't been able to test 2.2 yet for myself. However, I do encourage IPS to include this in future releases.

also, posts about IP.Board should really go here

yeah it would be nice to be able to have an option for this, much like we have an option for allowing them to use bbcode or html. I dont think its a current option, however I haven't been able to test 2.2 yet for myself. However, I do encourage IPS to include this in future releases.

also, posts about IP.Board should really go

here

Hi iMonkey,

I am not so sure about your comment that - "we have an option for allowing them to use bbcode or html"

...while you can choose to allow or disallow HTML in posts for specific member groups, there is no similar option to allow/disallow BBCode (that I have located) anywhere in the admin controls.

If it is there somewhere, can you point me in the right direction please?

david

*Correction* it is under the options for the individual forums and also private message setup in the ACP.

Thanks iMonkey....but I do not think that is what HughB is looking for (if I understand his needs). He wants to disallow live links for a specific user group, rather than all users in any particular forum.

david

I would certainly hope that this would not be incorporated in Invisions software as it would then mean Invision were supporting piracy, the only people who would not want live links are boards who share pirate software or Illegal downloads of Movies and Music.

And for a company who drives hard to stop pirated boards of their own software, I would think it would be hypocritical to install such a mod in their software.

Thanks iMonkey....but I do not think that is what HughB is looking for (if I understand his needs). He wants to disallow live links for a specific user group, rather than all users in any particular forum.

david

My post was responding to yours earlier... you were looking for how to restrict bbcode. I understand HughB is looking for disabling live links, which is why my first post explained that I don't think its a current feature and that I encourage IPS to implement such a feature.

I would certainly hope that this would not be incorporated in Invisions software as it would then mean Invision were supporting piracy, the only people who would not want live links are boards who share pirate software or Illegal downloads of Movies and Music.

And for a company who drives hard to stop pirated boards of their own software, I would think it would be hypocritical to install such a mod in their software.

That's a HUGE negative! people can easily post links to a single site that will ultimately crash your computer. This type of malicious activity can be performed anywhere, and can cause a lot of damage rather rapidly. I'm sorry but that post is just plain wrong.

I think your thinking on this is wrong. This has nothing to do with piracy as far as I can see, and everything to do with SPAM and links to offensive material being posted by users who join ONLY to post live spam links.

Our own boards have a similar spam problem....new users registering, and in their first post, liniking to drugs, enlargement theories, weird sex, moneymarket 'deals', and lots of other spam links. I spend time every day removing these links/members, and feel responsible for subjecting my board members to it, even if only for the few minutes it takes me to become aware of the problem.

A 'new member' group, where you could control live links to avoid this problem, seems like the best solution possible.

Once members in this group 'graduated' to a more trusted group, they could have the live link option as normal.

david

As I said live links do not cause spam even dead links can be spam the link is already there, therefore your board admins should remove it thats what they are there for.

As I said the only person who would want a live link stopper built into a board, would be a board not wanting to send a message out to the software company when a user takes something from the site hosting pirated software or a trace back to say where it came from. And I think I would be very suspicious of Invision Power Services if they even thought of integrating one in their software. It would then make their boards a pirates paradise. Its ok as a mod, its then your choice if you wish to use it, however I would not wish to buy software that would aid the distribution of stolen software, films, or music.

its then your choice if you wish to use it

:whistle: ...as it would be if made an option in the user group settings.

In exactly the same way as admin currently have the option to 'enable' or 'disable' HTML posting for any specified user group.

It seems like an easy option, and one that administrators should be able to control.

I agree that spammers can still cold-link...but I also think it is a tool/option that would make my life easier.

We already have the option to disable BBCode (and hence live linking) in any particular forum or PM system, but I want to be able to apply it to a user group.

The company (whose boards I oversee) are software developers. The last thing we want is to encourage software or intellectual property theft, but I hardly think being able to turn off BBCode (since you can already do it forum by forum in the current version) will encourage anyone to become a thief.

david

I think you are missing my point here and miss quoted me, installing it as an external mod is up to you that is what I meant, however I know for a fact by the amount of Invision Boards that are out there hosting links to pirated software, not just Invision I might add but VB and PHP, SMF and others, then why add coding to make it easier for them to pirate. Yes they can install a mod but to be honest they dont work because they still can be detected.

As I said I would not support or buy any software that would aid a thief to distribute pirated software, and that is exactly what a live link killer would do, having it built into IPB is not needed as there are mods out there to do the job and I dont see why IPB should make it any easier for them to do what they do.

...and I think you are misunderstanding what I am asking for (or suggesting)

Administrators already have the option to disable BBCode for individual forums from their control panel
(note that this means that unscrupulous administrators can already stop hot linking on a forum wide, or forum by forum basis). So anyone who would do it for illegal reasons is already doing it.

I just want the option for a specified user group...instead of a specified forum...or should I say, as well as a specified forum....I am not asking for anything new, just a new way of choosing how I apply a feature already in existence.

david

I think you are missing my point here and miss quoted me, installing it as an external mod is up to you that is what I meant, however I know for a fact by the amount of Invision Boards that are out there hosting links to pirated software, not just Invision I might add but VB and PHP, SMF and others, then why add coding to make it easier for them to pirate. Yes they can install a mod but to be honest they dont work because they still can be detected.

As I said I would not support or buy any software that would aid a thief to distribute pirated software, and that is exactly what a live link killer would do, having it built into IPB is not needed as there are mods out there to do the job and I dont see why IPB should make it any easier for them to do what they do.

Um, you appear to be very confused. Disallowing live links by user group would not promote pirated software. In fact, this feature would help forum admins to discourage visitors who post such links as well as spammy ones.

Archived