rebuild members Number

Guest atsaunier

What purpose does it serve, other than to add a lot of unnecessary coding?

Nearly every table in IPB gets joined by member id - so after resetting the member ids, you'd have to update nearly every table in the db. And this does not accomplish anything at the end of the day...

Seriously, I've looked into doing this myself on more occasions than I care to count, and it's not really worth it. Why? Because it's very slow to do (something that is unavoidable) and if you have any member profile pages indexed by search engines, the links will point to the wrong members after all the IDs change.

If you're one of those admins who wants to be member 1 and isn't for some reason...reinstall your board :P

This would be best served as a modification. There are several that allow you to change member id's on IPB 2.1.7. I am sure some of those modification authours would be willing to upgrade their modification once 2.2 hits final.

It's a number for a reason. It would be a bad idea to make it your name as stated above. And it would also be very confusing to rebuild it. I've hated how the newest member had say a member id of 424 but the board index only says we have like 200 members.

For the sake of not messing everything up and confusing everybody though, keep it the way it is :P.

Archived