I don't think it should be encoded

Guest harmor

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why any modder or skinner would want to work on their stuff with a beta. It just creates more problems for you then if you waited. In terms of it being encoded. I kind of disagree with it because it prevented me from using the first beta, and from what some say now all the betas are going to be encoded? That's news to me, I though only this first one was encoded.

Which makes the point of the first on being encoded a bit silly. If the reason (and only reason) for doing it was so it was pure code. Well I remember when 2.1 came out in beta. I was able to find the problems fix the code myself and submit it to bug tracker. Which basically does IPS work for them as all they would have to do is test the bug, test the fix and if it work, patch it/change it a bit.

If a hacker wanted to use beta 1 even if you encoded they can still crack it. A friend of mine told me that a cracked untimed version has already pop-up. Don't know if its true but I wouldn't be shocked if it was. In any even if beta 2 will coming out unencoded, I'm sure beta 3 then RC releases so if you want the code to be pure to stop modders from adding a mod then reporting bugs "as you said" then why not make all the beta/RC encoded? That would not fly with most of us. However it would met your reasons for encoding the first one. Just seems silly to me do the first one and let the rest go when your reason for it will only last one release.

But its your software if you want to encode it or not is up to you. I already have 3 licenses and I"m not in any hurry to upgrade. Maybe when it reaches 2.2.5 or something. So if I don't get to mess with it until final release that's find by me. Its not like the final release is going to be encoded now.

I don't know why any modder or skinner would want to work on their stuff with a beta. It just creates more problems for you then if you waited. In terms of it being encoded. I kind of disagree with it because it prevented me from using the first beta, and from what some say now all the betas are going to be encoded? That's news to me, I though only this first one was encoded.

Which makes the point of the first on being encoded a bit silly. If the reason (and only reason) for doing it was so it was pure code. Well I remember when 2.1 came out in beta. I was able to find the problems fix the code myself and submit it to bug tracker. Which basically does IPS work for them as all they would have to do is test the bug, test the fix and if it work, patch it/change it a bit.

If a hacker wanted to use beta 1 even if you encoded they can still crack it. A friend of mine told me that a cracked untimed version has already pop-up. Don't know if its true but I wouldn't be shocked if it was. In any even if beta 2 will coming out unencoded, I'm sure beta 3 then RC releases so if you want the code to be pure to stop modders from adding a mod then reporting bugs "as you said" then why not make all the beta/RC encoded? That would not fly with most of us. However it would met your reasons for encoding the first one. Just seems silly to me do the first one and let the rest go when your reason for it will only last one release.

But its your software if you want to encode it or not is up to you. I already have 3 licenses and I"m not in any hurry to upgrade. Maybe when it reaches 2.2.5 or something. So if I don't get to mess with it until final release that's find by me. Its not like the final release is going to be encoded now.

good point there. if modders had access to the code, they could be have to rewrite the code several times since it could change between betas. nobody wants to write code THAT much...

If this type of activity is promoted, I'm sure some people would fix their own bugs responsibly & help out the devs, but you can't deny the obvious drawbacks...

1) Some people could unwittingly botch the patch, which may fix the bug but cause more problems than it fixed.

2) Some may decide to keep their "homemade" patch during subsequent beta releases, satisfied their "fix" was the only one needed in that file, which may leave more bugs to be reported & filed away as dupes/already fixed.

3) There would be constant criticism over minutia by well-meaning but misguided folk about things that have absolutely no impact on the operation of the software, further wasting the dev's time that could be spent resolving issues that actually matter.

Darth Unrivaled brings up a good point about the code fixes, however zending is the path that was chosen by ips and ips isn't known to come back on decision they have made, so we could just as well stop nagging about it. :P

We'll just help fix the code bugs starting from RC1 then. :)

Archived