Profile Fields

Guest Mark

This probably should go in Feature Suggestions & Ideas, but I think it is so important that it goes in 2.2 with the new profile I am posting it here.
Firstly, custom profile fields are not displayed in the profile, that needs to be sorted.
Secondly, I think there needs to be much more control over how custom profile fields are displayed, there ordering in the profile, and the UCP.

For example, if I want to add a Skype field, I want it to display below all the other IM fields, and I'd like to give it an image in the profile, like the other IM fields. In the UCP it should display directly under the other IM fields and be treated the same.

The best way I think to achieve this would be to treat ALL profile fields as custom, that way we can add, reorgnaise or delete fields as we see appropriate.
There would also need to be a couple of settings added, for example "Group in UCP", "Position in UCP", "Group in Profile", "Positon in Profile".
And also 2 extra settings for specific types of fields:
Dropdown: "Images to use for each selection" (like gender)
Text: Image to display next to field in profile (like IM identities)

I think this is desperatly needed for the profile as currently, your custom fields look out of place in the settings and are not displayed at all in the UCP!

Thanks!

Professer P, I've been suggesting this for ages. I agree completly - all profile fields should be custom. For example recently I wanted to allow members to put their MSN names in their profile but not allow other users to see them - if the messenger fields were custom fields this would be possible.

I'd actually quite like to see every field in the profile to be custom and enabled by default - you could then setup blocks for this profile (i.e. Other Information) and choose which block the custom field goes into.

Doubt this would make it into 2.2 though.

I'd actually quite like to see every field in the profile to be custom and enabled by default - you could then setup blocks for this profile (i.e. Other Information) and choose which block the custom field goes into.

Doubt this would make it into 2.2 though.

2.2 is pretty much "feature locked".

But we are taking note of all suggestions for future releases. :)

I think that overhauling the custom fields system is perhaps asking for too much for this release. However, making the Messenger and other profile fields custom is not and wouldn't be that much work.

Why? For example I run a clan site. I want to write a component to generate an XML file of everyones MSN details. However, I don't want non-members to be able to see these details. I have 2 options:

1) Add another custom profile field for MSN - my users will be very confused and it'll look tacky.
2) Edit the source code to not display the MSN field.

+1 from me!

We should be able to reorder current default & custom profile fields in the most logical order based on each forums needs!

And is it possible to get custom profile fields to show up in the new profile portal but not in the mini profile under ones avatar in posts?

Archived