Attachment Limit

Guest Stec

Where in the admin panel on beta 2.2 can I change the attachment size limit. The default is only 10mb per post...I would like to increase that to 25mb but I can not see where and I looked over the ACP countless times?? :unsure:

you now can also set in forum permissions what groups can DOWNLOAD attachments which is a long awaited feature (w00t)

ACP > Management Tab > Manage User Groups (down the left-hand side) > Go to the group in question, click the big grey box to the right of the row and click "Edit Group" > 2nd box (Upload Permissions).

There you will find what you seek. :)

Thanks I have been able to increase global upload limits but my question is the "10mb per post upload limit" which I want to increase? As you can see in my pic.

maxfilesize.jpg

These are my settings...

GLOBAL: (currently: 9765.63mb)
PER POST: (currently: 9765.63mb)

But it still says 10mb?

there's a "hard" setting in your php.ini that's 10MB max... can't override that

Ahhh man serious? That sucks...to me as a board owner that should be a setting that I have control over whether I want people limited to a 1mb per post upload limit or a 100mb per post limit. Seems bizarre that it's not adjustable, I wonder what the reasoning is behind that?

there's a "hard" setting in your php.ini that's 10MB max... can't override that

not quite true, php's defalut single file upload is set to 2MB (upload_max_filesize), with an 8MB PER process upload including all post/get/request data (post_max_size). scince ipb's uploads are processed as seperate processes (assuming this hasnt changed from 2.1) you can upload as many attachments (even 100MB) providing NO SINGLE attachment is above the php.ini limit of 2MB.

(note if you happen to have access to the php.ini file you may set these limits to whatever you like :) )

and Stec if you look at that screenie you posted you will notice is says "max single upload size" you PER POST limit (which your question seems to bee refering to) IS at 100MB (if you mean per upload not per post refer to my explinaton above about the php.ni directives)

• 2 weeks later...

(note if you happen to have access to the php.ini file you may set these limits to whatever you like :) )

Beeman, That is some very helpful info that you posted. Where can I locate the php.ini file? I've looked for it using a FTP program but have had no luck.

Even on shared hosting, you have ways to change that, usually, unless the host has disabled those functions:

Try this:

Create an .htaccess file in your forum main directory if it doesn't exist and add the following:
php_value post_max_size 20M
php_value upload_max_filesize 20M

Try accessing your forum. If you get internal server errors, try removing those lines from the .htaccess file and instead creating a php.ini file with the following it in:

post_max_size = 20M
upload_max_filesize = 20M

Save changes and try again. If you still have problems you will need to ask your host to change the main value for you.

You can change 20M to whatever size you need.

Thanks AlbusDumbledore and Xenboy.

Xenboy, I created an .htaccess file with the lines that you posted. Just like you mentioned, I received internal server errors and couldn't access the forum so I deleted the file which brought the forum back online. Then I created my own php.ini file as per your instructions and inserted it in the main directory of our forum, no go, nothing happened.

I guess I will have to ask our host to change the main value for us. Thanks for your help.

Archived