Public beta of 2.2 zend encoded?

Guest Pⅇter

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because it will be time limited to stop people using a beta version as an official forum.

It occured for the last public beta, but the full source was released for the RC versions. I assume they will be taking a similar approach this time.

I hope they only encode small sections so us mod authors can get a look at the inner workings of this very nice IPB upgrade.

better question: will the language files be encoded? i want to port my 2.1 lang pack to 2.2,,, and that would be not possible if its encoded :D

You probably won't need to import it to test the Beta, would you? The final release should be unencoded so you'd be able to import it then.

From what I remember, only the 2.1 Alpha Version was encoded. All Beta's and RC's were open. But, they are not releasing any 2.2 Alpha - so we cannot go by 2.1's timeline for 2.2 ;)

I seriously cannot see any good reason to encode it.

If there's a good reason I'm happy to learn about it. :)

• Management

The very first beta will be encoded for two reasons:

1. We do not want it out there long as it will be confusing for us to support. We still have people running 2.0.0 Beta 1 so you can imagine :)

2. The very first beta is just to see if everything works. Once we're sure the base product works we will release an unencoded version everyone can play with.

I seriously cannot see any good reason to encode it.

If there's a good reason I'm happy to learn about it. :)

As long as the RC/final isn't encoded I don't see an issue. Fair enough, mod authors will want to see the code to update their mods, but the code is likely to change between beta and final anyway so surely waiting until RC is a better idea.

The very first beta will be encoded for two reasons:

1. We do not want it out there long as it will be confusing for us to support. We still have people running 2.0.0 Beta 1 so you can imagine :)

2. The very first beta is just to see if everything works. Once we're sure the base product works we will release an unencoded version everyone can play with.

1. that's a different story, ipb 2.0 beta's still fell under the free flag, of course there are still people running it as they basically don't need a license to run it... Now with ipb 2.2 you need to have an active license to have access to the download in the first place... :unsure:

2. it seems to work on the company forums :P

As you can deduct from my posts I don't really agree with the policy, but as long as the final product is not encoded I'm relatively happy... :)

Peter.... the first beta will be encoded so its release is better controlled. After it's out for a week or so (as explained in the announcement) we'll give details on the next beta and/or RC (depending how it goes) which will not be encoded.

Look at it this way boys and girls, if they want to set a time whe they have to release the next version, I am all for it since its that much quicker I wil get IPB 2.2.x (w00t)

This is no difference then Microsoft having a time-bomb in the Vista Beta and RC builds, they could easly make it use a valid Windows XP license to install ( yes dumb idea I know ) but I am just saying. They have to release Vista before those builds expire, so people don't lose their systems to the time bomb, and yes I now those builds have no support but still.

As long as the RC/final isn't encoded I don't see an issue. Fair enough, mod authors will want to see the code to update their mods, but the code is likely to change between beta and final anyway so surely waiting until RC is a better idea.

Of course the final release will be unrestricted. We aren't paying for time-encoded software, save a few beta releases here and there. And if I remember back to the 2.1.x beta days, the code changed quite a bit between Beta 2 and RC1.

Of course the final release will be unrestricted. We aren't paying for time-encoded software, save a few beta releases here and there. And if I remember back to the 2.1.

x

beta days, the code changed quite a bit between Beta 2 and RC1.

I wouldn't mind having the final release, where it would expire every 6 months, that would mean we would get a new version every 6 months (w00t)

It only would suck if IPS shut its "virtual" doors, of course I think we are more "screwed" due to the recent attacks over the last 3 months of "old" moldy holes in the software ( no offense by this statement, all software is inperfect ).

I wouldn't mind having the final release, where it would expire every 6 months, that would mean we would get a new version every 6 months (w00t)

It only would suck if IPS shut its "virtual" doors, of course I think we are more "screwed" due to the recent attacks over the last 3 months of "old" moldy holes in the software ( no offense by this statement, all software is inperfect ).

What do you mean by "shut its 'virtual' doors?" Shouldn't 2.2 be a lot more secure now that they've hired a third-party security firm to check each release before it's... released?

What do you mean by "shut its 'virtual' doors?" Shouldn't 2.2 be a lot more secure now that they've hired a third-party security firm to check each release before it's... released?

Since IPS is a company that is on the internet, they would close "virtual" doors, ie the company would close. Yes, I know they have an office, but they would also have to close their "virtual" office, no?

I was making an internet joke (w00t)

Yes they did hire a security firm, and yes it should be more secure, but all software has bugs and anyone who doesn't believe that is pulling your leg.

I will put $.02 on the fact within 6 months IPB 2.2.x will have fixed at least on security/bug and release a patch for such security/bug to customers.

Archived